S3A Fuel Tank Leak

Snapperpaul

I had a leak a while back, tracked it back to a crease in the tank caused by tank movement where it hit/rubbed on the rear panel lip.

At the time I used petrol patch and put edge trim on the lip.

Recently the leak was back the patch lifting so as the driveshafts were off and the diff replaced with LSD, out came the tank. I thought I would do a proper job and bought £60 tank sealer kit from Frost. Washed out the tank with water and left it full for a few hours, no leak seen, drained tank and cleaned up crease with a dremel, still can't find the leak.

B70418A5-5CBB-4BE6-A481-1B3EB7F9592F.jpg

The fuel sender seal was a homemade allegedly fuel proof rubber sheet over cork on Hylomar that had made and fitted but I suspect it was the Sierra original fuel filler rubber as that has a 6mm recess where as the Robin Hood fuel tank is 1mm, the Sikaflex I used to glue the seal in was ok but the seal was loose.

3905F776-E769-40EF-ADC6-11F4649FF975.jpg

I have ordered POR-15 filler to sort this and an oil filter rubber for the sender hole.

In the meantime tank has been cleaned out with POR-15 cleaner/degreaser for 24 hours then flushed out with water and dried.

819DD66E-CA7D-4409-897D-2D29FE2F00A2.jpg

Next is POR-15 metal prep for ½ hour then dry off again ready for the POR-15 tank sealer.

Nothing's simple is it.

Edited by Snapperpaul

Guest 2b cruising

I used that last year on a Marlin tank. Time consuming job but well worth it. It leaves a really good lining in the tank and had no problems since.

I would recommend it to anyone as long as they use it correctly.

Money well spent in my case.