Tunbutton Fastners

Hi Folks

I am in the middle of fitting my hood and after fitting the poppers I have no faith in them keeping the hood on at speed.

has anyone used turnbutton fastners and where did you get them?

do you need a special tool to put them on???

any help appreciated

cheers

Chris

I got mine from wollies. Just rivet the base onto the car (3.2 x 6mm in the screen frame, 8mm or 10mm elsewhere) and for the top part cut four nicks into the fabric, push it through, bend over the tabs, and then use a soldering iron to make the big hole in the middle.

Do a trial one first. My hood is a plastic backed fabric so the soldering iron trick works well. Failing that then a small pair of scissors with a sharp point should do the job.

Ant

Guest salty_monk

Has anyone had a problem with the poppers at speed??

My hood is a really good fit so I can't see it coming off at speed but I haven't tried it yet!!

Guest irishbob

i had my poppers come off crossing the thirlwell viaduct at about 85 you only need one at each side where the hood meets the side screen . i went the whole hog and did all the rear ones but it isn't necessary.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest timswait

I had the hood keep un-popping at relatively low speed (about 70), it lifted from the rear just behind the side screens. I used a turn buckle fastner on each side to replace the furthest forward popper. This has worked very well with no problems. I got them from C&H fabrics, no special tools needed, just a good pair of scissors s I recall.