Valve Stem Seal?

Guest gashair

Guest gashair

Thinking i need to change the oil seals as when i open the car up and its warm it burns some oil? Are there any other things that this could be? And how hard is it to change the valve stem seals?

The sign of failing valve stem seals is a cloud of smoke when you start up. With the engine off oil runs down the valves, so when it first starts it all gets burnt and produces the smoke. If you don't get that then it's probably not the valve seals.

Any oil seals will cause oil usage, including external seals (any leaks under the car when you move it?). A problem with the oil catch valve in the crank breather can cause oil loss too thought this usually gets blocked up rather than allowing oil through with the gases.

If it only burns oil at high load then its more likely to be your piston rings. How many miles has the engine done? Is it in standard form?

Ant

Guest chris brown

with that mileage I would check the breather first if that’s OK then do a compression check dry first then wet (2 or 3 squirts of oil down the plug hole prior to test) if there is a great difference then there is a problem with the rings

its done about 500 miles apparently and only does it when hot and when you get the revs up. Does that mean piston rings then?

I would'nt worry about it at all!!!!!

The time to worry is when you need to clean the plugs every 100 miles......due to

oil fouling :p :p :p

Just a thought - is it actually loosing oil, or are you assuming that it's oil because of the black smoke? Smoke in the exhaust is also what happens if you run too rich. The excess fuel forms carbon (ie soot and smoke) rather than carbon dioxide.

Ant