Engine Ticking Between 1500-2500Rpm. Oil Grade Choice ?

Guest Johnboy27

Guest Johnboy27

I have an old 2.0 pinto engine in my kit car that was originally from a mk4 cortina. It was professionally rebuilt quite a few years ago but has only covered about 3500 miles.

Last year the engine sounded really nice but this year it has a small rattling/ticking coming from the top end when the revs are just above tick over and then seems to quieten off around 2500rpm.It's like a noisey tappet sound.

I changed the oil n filter over the winter and used 10w40 semi synthetic, I'm wondering if this is maybe a bit thin for an old fashioned engine, people keep saying about classic 20w50.

I've just had the rocker box cover off and check the valve clearances, a couple needed a tiny bit of adjustment but not made any difference. The camshaft also looks like new.

What oils are recommended for pinto?

Thanks

Guest chris brown

+1 for the spray bar take it off and blow it through to make sure it is clear and use new O rings when refitting. I always ran my pinto on 10/40 with no trouble at all.

personally, going from 10w40 to 20w50 made a significant difference to noise. Valve clearances are always worth re-checking, they are fickle things to adjust on pintos.

Guest Johnboy27

Thanks for the replies, yes I've checked the spray bar, I've cranked it over while the rocker cover was off and there is plenty of oil spraying onto the cam.

I can't see any black exhaust soot around any of the manifold gaskets but obviously I can see all the way round each one.

I will give it an oil n filter change anyway with 20w50 to give peace of mind.

I suppose if it's a manifold leak it might have to develop a bit more before its visible.

Thanks again