A Fold Back Hood & Hardtop

Jon Bradbury

Hi

Has anyone tried to design either a hood with a proper folding frame or a hardtop yet? I ask because I have a few ideas on how this could be done (well the hood, anyway) based on one of my neighbours' cars - he has an old MG TF with a very similarly proportioned hood to the one you'd be putting on a 2B, and I think the way it is designed it would be relatively easy to copy. Dunno about the doors, though... might have to stick with the existing arrangement.

As to the hardtop idea, this seems to be fairly easy to do, given a MIG welder, some box section steel and some stainless sheet. However, I envisioned a design that had as few seams in it as possible, so precision folding of the stainless would be necessary. Adding a tailgate or boot might be hard too.

Anyway, I spent a lot of time whilst waiting for the kit to arrive dreaming up ways of doing all this (the hardtop design has gullwing doors because you can't really hang anything heavy on the existing window frame) but am now wondering if anyone else has tried to do it before.

Answers to the usual address...

Cheers

JonB