Tax Disks

Guest Bob Rowell

Guest Bob Rowell

There has been a warning from the old bill in Norwich warning about low life scroats in this area nicking tax disks from scooters, bikes and open top cars etc

Now according to all the TV advertising lately DVLA tell us that to check if a vehicle is taxed they only need to look at their computer. So how much money is being wasted printing and distributing tax disks? and why are we still using them if they are not needed - plod can just get on his radio to base, a quick check on the computer, and he knows if you're legal.... :unsure: ..am I missing something here?

i think that tony should add a couple of pence more to a litre of fuel then you cant get away without paying it and the more you use the roads the more you pay!!!!!

easy eh? ;)

on the subject of tax disk security ,i have a "boy racer" alloy disk holder which to undo you need to remove six allen bolts ,takes me about half an hour to get to it myself!! :D

Guest Battery Bill

Ash

i think that tony should add a couple of pence more to a litre of fuel then you cant get away without paying it and the more you use the roads the more you pay!!!!!

I'm sure they said that the government dictators were considering doing this in the near future :rolleyes: No idea what their version of a near future is though :lol: :lol:

on the subject of tax disk security ,i have a "boy racer" alloy disk holder which to undo you need to remove six allen bolts ,takes me about half an hour to get to it myself!! :D

Yes but that's because you're being careful not to damage the surrounding area or whatever it's fastened to. Think to yourself how quickly you could break the whole thing off with a big screwdriver used as a lever and not caring if you leave big scratches or dents.

This is something else I think should be changed in this country. We just seem to try to make it harder for these little horrors to comit the crime. Why don't we start actually catching them and punishing them in such a way that they won't do it again instead of just making it a challenge for them?

Iain

Guest Andybarbet

I agree - my wife just had her Rover 214 convertible roof slashed in two places - lifted the roof up - opened doors and ripped out stereo and half the dash ! To top it off the alarm didn't go off until the police opened the car door !

Turns out soft top roof not covered on insurance and it was only a £60 stereo. Also nicked all her CD's but luckily enough they were all copies of originals, Left the tax disc though ?

Still they left lots of fingy prints and the police have taken them but if they aint on record then thats a waste of time too !

I just hope that when they struggle to get a nice motor, someone vandalises it for them - what goes around comes around (Hopefully)

I'll get off me soap box now.

Guest salty_monk

I've just got one of those boy racer tax disk things... just got to work out where to mount it now, any ideas?

Plod actually sell a tax disk holder for a quid or so that is for 1 time use, when you pull it off the screen it rips the disk rendering it useless. Good idea but they look pants as they are big, red & white & say warning safety blah blah all over them...

Guest timswait

It's easy to see him adding the couple of pence to petrol, it's harder to see him abolishing road tax!

Guest paul thompson

Well based on the following calc the amount the trasury would have to put on fuel would be as follows.

1 car drives on average 10,000 miles per year and pays about 160 (on average) road fund licanse.

at an average of 30 miles per gallon, 5 litres per gallon that's 6 miles per litre. that makes 1666 litres of fuel per year. to get the £160 they would need to add at least 10 pee per litre. Then there are cars like ours which only do 5,000 max per year but still have to pay £190 and bikes which do 2 to 3,000 per year but only pay £65 per year. Other bikes like couriers pay £65 per year and do 20,000 miles. Gets complicated don't it? I have a company car and the company pays my road fund every year. I have to pay private petrol of which I use a lot cause my Kids live in Essex and I live in the Midlands so do 350 miles every weekend. Adding to the price of petrol would not get my vote cause I could not afford to go see my kids every week then.

Keep road tax I say!!!!

Paul,

on your calculations I would be £240 better off a year, 3 cars all below average milage.

Your calculation of 10p per litre is above what I would expect as they would get extra revenue from all the cars on the road without car tax (and there are a lot of them :gdit: ) that would have to pay on fuel to drive their cars.

You are unfortunate in that you drive a lot of personal miles to see you kids :( , but with a company car you have the benefit of no extra expenses of maintaining and keeping a car on the road.

Sorry if it sounds like I'm having a go at you but far from it, i'ts all the gits that drive around without tax and insurance that gets my back up.

Les

Guest Stuart Ainslie

I say keep road tax too.

I run 3 cars - 1 @ 30,000 miles per year for commuting, 1 @ 12,000 miles per year for the wife and 1 as a toy.

Start charging me on a price per mile and I'll join the dole queue and stuff working ! !

Guest chris

:( Les, its not only private milage tax we have to pay(fuel benefit)but also tax on the value of the car,we are actually personally taxed for using the car during working time.Sorry Ill get of my soapbox.

regards chris

Guest paul thompson

Ooops I've started something now!! But we do pay heavily in tax for the benefit in kind of being supplied with a new car every 3 years and having someone else take care of the bills. My tax code as a result is minus 48 at the moment (ouch!) but will go down with the new car I should have got today if the lease co had paid the dealer on time!! cause the emission levels are better.

Guest salty_monk

I get paid mileage rather than a company motor - has it's plus points & minus points.

(you have to fund the "capital" buy of the car yourself but don't pay any tax)