Tow Bar For S3

fozzie

There is nowhere particular strong enough for a towbar

I for one would only consider fabricating sub frame taking off from the outer A frame mounts and probably forward

The monocoque had no real strength and even if you did make a mount for the bar it would only really take a small trailer

• Like 2

I made and fitted one.

There is a pair of 2" square tubes spaced just wide enough to clear the diff, with another tube connecting the outer ends (far enough out to clear the spare wheel) and carrying the hitch. Where the tubes pass under the back panel, there is a smaller tube across them (most of the width of the back panel), bolted through both the back panel lip and a reinforcing tube above the lip. In front of the diff, two more 2" tubes continue forward (stepped inwards and overlapping the rear pair), making the front 4" narrower than the back. The gap between the front tubes is just wider than the tunnel and they are bolted through the floor to the harness reinforcing plates either side.

I don't know how strong it is, but I can jump up and down on it and I weigh 18-1/2 stone.

I did get a few odd looks when it was temporarily the only car I had access to with a towbar and I used it to take rubbish to the tip!

I did wonder about the rules regarding EU testing and approval of towbars, but it turns out that they only apply to type approved vehicles and hence not to kit-cars.

• Like 1

Guest 2b cruising

Normal loading takes into account the axle weights.

That means you could easily jack knife if your load is balanced correctly in the trailer. ie balanced front to rear on trailer, very little weight to be on hitch to stop the front end lifting and braking away on corners.

The other way around WILL lift the back end and jack-knife.

That's why you see so many caravans in the ditch.

I made one for my S3 using an american tow hitch that fits in a receiver which makes it removable;

I used a sheet of 5mm steel that bolted on the boot floor and also extends onto the tunnel and it bolted there as well. A length of square tube was welded onto the sheet and is the receiver tube:

post-347-0-89961500-1453151468_thumb.jpg

post-347-0-42774700-1453151477_thumb.jpg

post-347-0-54927900-1453151484_thumb.jpg

The tow hitch had to be bought from the states:

post-347-0-90706900-1453151491_thumb.jpg

The hitch is held in place by a removable pin:

post-347-0-05991900-1453151728_thumb.jpg

The hitch fitted:

post-347-0-89704400-1453151963_thumb.jpg

The hitch removed and the hole covered:

post-347-0-91413700-1453151501_thumb.jpg

I use it to tow a small trailer and a trailer tent:

post-347-0-24182800-1453151510_thumb.jpg

post-347-0-28503800-1453151517_thumb.jpg

It works well and the sheet of steel also reinforces the boot floor so it does not flex when the car is jacked up using the diff.

• Like 4

I made one for my S3 using an american tow hitch that fits in a receiver which makes it removable;

I used a sheet of 5mm steel that bolted on the boot floor and also extends onto the tunnel and it bolted there as well. A length of square tube was welded onto the sheet and is the receiver tube:

attachicon.gif001s.JPG

attachicon.gif002s.JPG

attachicon.gif003s.JPG

The tow hitch had to be bought from the states:

attachicon.gif004s.JPG

The hitch is held in place by a removable pin:

attachicon.gif008s.jpg

The hitch fitted:

attachicon.gif009s.jpg

The hitch removed and the hole covered:

attachicon.gif005s.JPG

I use it to tow a small trailer and a trailer tent:

attachicon.gif006s.JPG

attachicon.gif007s.JPG

It works well and the sheet of steel also reinforces the boot floor so it does not flex when the car is jacked up using the diff.

many thanks nigel and fantastic photos. if you are at stonleigh this year i would love a close up look