Scuttle Dash Edge - Small Rivets? Or...dont Rivet At All?

danielbrookes

Evening, I will be finishing my scuttle this weekend and I have just had a few tests for the edge where the dash panel is attached to the scuttle.

From the research I have done I need to rivet around the outside edge into the tabs underneath really close to the edge, countersunk so they are hidden from the trim. I've measued the amount I have to play with and the trim covers 7mm in and the rivet heads I have are 6mm in width - I plan on purchasing some countersunk instead of dome heads, but they will still be very close to the edge.

Considering my battery tray, firewall and scuttle are removable (I have used rivnuts to attach to chassis) I have a couple of questions:

- Are rivets definately required, or overkill? I plan on using plenty of sikaflex on the tabs

- Can you buy < 6mm head rivets at all? It doesnt seem so from the quick look I have had so far.

- If sikaflex isnt good enough on its own, are there any alternatives to rivets? Self tappers perhaps filed down underenath?

I am not confident I will make a neat enough job with rivets all the way along so a little wary, dont want to make a hash of it!

Thanks!

Guest 2b cruising

Counter sunk 4 mm nuts and bolts?

Would be easy to fit but I don't know about IVA requirements.

If steering column fix to it anywhere it might have to be rigid.

Thanks guys, I think I'll need to take plenty of time and drink plenty of coffee! I don't have the most delicate of hands shall we say so should be interesting to say the least :)

I've ordered some 1mm drill bits and also a propper punch so I can hopefully be as accurate as possible, fingers crossed.

Not sure why I didnt think of this earlier but I've just finished some trial runs in the garage with a template I made, worked a tread. I used an old piece of right angled metal from work and went from there.

All I need to do is fit the trim to scuttle, draw round the edge of the trim then remove. Nedxt line up the line on template with scuttle, clamp in place and drill thro - the rivet hole is in the perfect place each time. I've tested with my dome rivets and ground them down, it works perfectly. I've purchased some countersink rivets also and intend on testing with them and then going for it this weekend.

post-12984-0-97940600-1460485129_thumb.png

post-12984-0-62388800-1460485136_thumb.png

post-12984-0-57941600-1460485207_thumb.png

• Like 1