Stepper Motor

Guest klaxon

Guest klaxon

Since I install my bog-standard 2.0 pinto in my 2B it has run perfectly. But last Saturday I started it up and the ESC 2 unit was unable to control the idle speed. It kept sending the stepper motor from one limit to the other causing the engine to rev and then nearly stop every 2-3 seconds. I've checked all the connector plugs etc. Any ideas chaps? :(

Guest elgey7

Hi

I had the same carb & ECU system but I eventually removed the ECU in favour of the old sierra system. You need the small Electronic Ignition unit & a Distributor.

I still use the same carb just took all that stepper motor gubbins & wire off.

I think the NW guys have an article on fitting the older system it's much simpler.

Colin

Guest paul thompson

I have ESC2 but have a manual choke conversion. I found fitting to my EFI engine was a doddle. (Not EFI any more obviously) I find that I never need the choke to get it started, just floor the gas while turning it over, starts straight away. Foot off as soon as it tried to fire and away. A little choke then just to keep it going while I shut the garage doors and then I turn it off and drive away. Very happy with that. Not so easy with the 38 Dgas I have sitting on the shelf in the garage tho' that has a water based auto choke and manual conversion for this beastie is 50 smakers plus Vat and shipping, (bugger!) I checked with some Ford guys I know that work in Engine calibration at Ford and they told me that the ESC2 is a Dumb ECU. It tells things what to do, but doesn't check to see that tehy have done it. i.e. sends signals to the Stepper motor but don't care if the stepper does anything as ther eis no feed back loop. So taking out the stepper won't harm it. They even told me that EECIV would have controlled the ignition with no problems even if I fitted carbs for the same reason, It don't care if the injection system is injecting or not. If the engine is running it assumes that they are working correctly. It only adjusts what they are doing according to the air flow meter and the revs. It still controls the advance according the the engine revs no matter what. ESC2 is better however cause you have vac advance still even though it is inside the ECU and is controlled electronically. God my postst are getting verbose. Sorry if anyone has dropped off reading this.

I thought that was a blinding reply!!!!!!!!

Bowt time we had something ,interesting,as in my view some of the

topics on here ,have to say the least "gone off the boil"

IMHO

Cheers Ian

Guest klaxon

Thanx for your replies lads, especially Paul, Its handy to know that if the stopper motor (sorry, stepper motor) goes wrong I can just disconect it and it will run OK,

However Mr Haynes has supplied the answer. I couldn't find anything in the carb section of the manual but the solution was in the electical sect. There must be a good electrical conexion between the stepper motor plunger and the adjusting screw on the throttle lever. I cleaned them up with fine emery and problem solved.

:) :) :)