Steering Rack

Guest Colin Usher

Guest Colin Usher

I have just fitted the RHE supplied Steering Rack to my new St St Wishbone 2B.

The angle of the Steering column splined shaft, in relation to the chassis, seems a bit high. A dummy shaft fitted comes up at 45Degs and just clears the rear edge of the Headlamp/Rear Wishbone cross member. Is this correct. a_c_usher@yahoo.co.uk Thanks Colin Usher 000134

Guest Angel Boy

Colin,

My splined shaft points up at about 60 deg to the horizontal the steering column then attaches to it and travels to the bulkhead at about 30 deg (all approx angles and from memory). Just missing the alternator on the way past.

If it is the RHE rak you have fitted IIRC you can only fit it one way as the bolt holes will only line up in one position? (someone correct me if I am wrong).

HTH.

Andy

Guest Alan Harrison

Hi Colin

Mine's the same. It appears to be the cause of a very notchy steering action that I have. A couple of replies to my posting have made some suggestions (thank chaps). I'm out to the garage with my torch to check things out.

Later.............

I have had to pack the front of the steering rack to reduce the angle between the rack and the steering shaft. This stops the nuckles of the UJ catching as the wheel is turned.. Works fine now.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest MJTyke

I had exactly the same problem but solved it (I hope) by fabricating a tringular spacer out of flat, downside is that it raised the rack as well, will have to see if it works re the steering geometry