Robin Hood

Guest salty_monk

Guest salty_monk

Just wanted to see what engines & setups people use & what is their actual (with limiting rotor arm or shif light if applicable) and self set rev limit??

I have a 2L pinto with Piper 285 CAM & 38 DGAS, been running it in so have so far only taken it to about 5.5k.

Now have plenty of miles on it & an oil change & just wondered what I should be looking for it to go to... :rolleyes:

Guest Charles B

I have a mildly tuned 1600 pinto with lightened flywheel and twin 40 Dellortos, and used to have it limited to about 5500 as well. but then I got some ear plugs, and it's quite amazing, it will easily rev over 6000! not sure about the life span, but what the hell..

Guest Charles B

Seriously though, it is only the noise putting me off revving it, if the exhaust was quieter, I'm sure it would be safe up to 6500., in fact I think the short stroke 1600 engines are probably good for a bit more.

Guest docter fox

you can take mine to 5000 easily but anymore than that and the hand on the rev gauge flicks off the scale and stays there until you flick it back :lol: (i think i need new gauges)

its a standard 2 litre with a 34 weber, what should it go to?

ps I love the noise! :D

Modified 2.0l with lightened and balanced flywheel, high torque cam and twin dellortos, big valves etc, revs past the end of the counter at 7k.

must fit the rev limiter soon!!!

Des Hammil in his book suggests max revs 6700 sustained on standard rods and pistons. Other engine bits like crank will take this OK. New flywheel bolts are a must and consider doweling the flywheel to crank as the bolts have been known to shear as a friend of mine found out in a brown trousered moment a year ago.

Nigel

Fords max recommended was 6250 for the injection engines and a little lower for the others.

You will break a Pinto if you rev it too high too often - or rather you will break things in it which will then do other nasty things to it. Having said that WE will probably still get reasonable life from an abused Pinto because they are really over-engineered and we don't tend to do that much mileage in ours. Basically Pinto's were designed when the average quality of the materials was much lower (and more variable) so everything had to be bigger to be strong enough. As time marched on materials became much better to the point that even the cheapest grades of steel available in the 80's were better than that which the Pinto was designed for so the engine is stronger than it needs to be and can take abuse in it's stride that would kill a later engine in very short order.

The best of the standard con-rods are supposed to be the injection ones which I have been told should withstand brief but regular forays to 7250. The rings are apparently the weak point and shouldn't be taken past 6500 for any more than a few seconds. At these sort of engine speeds you are putting major stress on the bottom end due to the fact that the pistons are so heavy so big-ends, rods, little ends and main-bearings are all being subjected to major abuse. If you want to use this kind of rev-range you should be looking at Cosworth components for the bottom end or treating the standard stuff as comsumable.

The flywheel bolts have a habit of shearing on high torque motors and you should indeed look to get them doweled to the crank. Again Cosworths have a different crank with more and stronger bolts.

So There

Iain

I should add that the engine had new pistons and rings etc and was rebuilt by a guy who builds drag engines, so I presume he knows a thing or two about high reving engines, or at least the proof seems to be in his pudding so far!