Sign in to follow this  
Alexwalton93

Respraying stainless steel bonnet?

Hey guys got myself a robin 2b with a 2.3 turbo saab in. Bodywork needs a lot of tidying and after resprsying the whole lot. I'd like to spray the bonnet but unsure on primers etc. I may just get it done at shop unless it's relatively simple job as I have a small spray booth at work. Anyone got experience doing this? 

My cousin was a top panel beater and painter, he said to me I would need to key the stainless with a medium/fine emery or scotchbright and use an etch primer

What he said, plus lots of cleaning and degreasing. Have you thought about powder-coating or wrapping.

Edited by MarkBzero

14 hours ago, Snapperpaul said:

My cousin was a top panel beater and painter, he said to me I would need to key the stainless with a medium/fine emery or scotchbright and use an etch primer

Cheers mate I'll consider this

6 hours ago, MarkBzero said:

What he said, plus lots of cleaning and degreasing. Have you thought about powder-coating or wrapping.

I thought about wrapping as when I first got a car I wrapped the dash etc. But I reckon  id struggle wrapping the bonnet with it having all the vents. I've not looked at powder coating, but it's a fab idea! Is the paint quite flexible if that makes sense? As i wouldn't want it cracking/flaking as the Bonnet is only thin stainless