Headlights Dip And Main

Guest jetskijase

Guest jetskijase

HI Nigal/Steve

I've got sierra stalks connecting to complete vg loom with relay pack from vg.

The bn/y and bn/w connect to a rely each then from there to blue/white and blue/red down to the h4 plug.

The two main probs i'am left with is that n/s lamp is fine, side dip and main all function correctly, o/s lamp try's to do the same but is dim, with the lights on dip or main if i indicate it flashes very slowly and dimmly and also lights up the oppposite indicator very slightly. if i turn off lights , just side lights on the ndicators work fine.

Second problem, with the wipers selected and 1st speed and 2 speed there fine, (got no wipers yet though) but if i turn them off then it blows a 20amp fuse in vg fuse block?? :blink:

And also :wacko: :wacko: With the ign wired upto vg loom the engine turns over at position 2 :boohoo: , so changed the bl/y with the bl/rd and now i can get the ign on but when i go to turn the engine over it wont stop spinning once selected the last position until i click it back to position 2 :blink: :blink: .

I will keep checking earth's etc.

Keep suggestions coming, when it all works i'am going to make up a diagram to go on build tips on nw site , as looking through archive theres lots of accounts of crap dim dip but no solutions.

Cheers chaps

Jase

Guest TerryBarry

Jase,

Assuming that you are using the Sierra column with the ignition switch attached, the sequence for mine (1989) is.

Connections on rear of switch

30 Thick Red _ Feed from battery +ve terminal

50 Thick Black/ Blue _ Feed to Starter Motor Solenoid

15 Thick Black/Yellow _ Feed to Ignition Circuits

R Thin Yellow _ Feed to auxillary circuits (Radio)

With switch in position :

0 No connections

1 (30 -> R) Red connects to yellow ( Aux circuits ON )

2 (30 -> R & 15) Red connects to yellow and Black/Yellow (Aux and Ignition circuits ON)

3 (30-> 15 & 50) Red connects to Black/Yellow and Black/Blue (IGN and Starter ON) but Aux is disconnected

Position 3 is spring loaded - starter stops on release

Postion 3 cannot now be re-energised unless key is returned to position 1.

I think the codes are the same for most Ford ignition switches but I've also read that the short cable colours can be different :wacko:

On the Sierra the black/blue feed to the starter soleniod changes colour to black/red somewhere in the harness - just to confuse the unwary :rolleyes:

wont stop spinning once selected the last position until i click it back to position 2   .

The switch should spring back from position 3 - if not you've got a duff/ sticky switch or possibly a duff key

Hope this Helps

Terry

Guest jetskijase

Terry thats superb mate will sort it , think i have a sticking key/switch. BUT..... IT ALL WORKS WAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :D :D :D :D :D

Main prob was that i linked the earth from the side's, indicators and the dim/dip at each corner of the car, seperated them and it all works!!! Haven't felt like this since the engine ran in the chassis. :D :D

Will do a diagram when on hols next week,

Cheers guys for helping out.