Oil Breather

Guest monogfx

Guest monogfx

Car running much better now thanks to all suggestions. Another one for you. I have modified the breather system on 2 litre pinto with 45 webers. I have an oil catch tank with filter (from take off on block) and have blocked the oil filler cap too (as its vents to atmosphere). Is this correct? The car is really fumey and even gives me a headache. Car does not leak much oil externally. It smells oily especially when coming to a halt. Any suggestions welcome. Perhaps I have done something wrong with the breather system. Cracked exhaust manifold?

Guest Simon cooper

The first thing you need to do is unblock your oil filler cap. Fit one from a transit that has the spout on it. This can then be tubed and routed into your catch tank as well. Make sure that your catch tank can breath as well, it has to be able to equalise it's pressure to atmosphere. You can never have too much breathing to air. At the moment it sounds like you are all pressured up inside and it will force oil past seals etc causing the oily smell.

Simon

Guest monogfx

Thanks Simon - I will give it try - only drove 10 miles in yesterday and my head was spinning - along with the rear wheels! ; )

Tim