Windscreen Height?

Guest Phil Slater

Guest Phil Slater

Fellers

I'm in the process of fitting the steering column to my 2B and as part of that I'm roughly fitting the drivers seat. Thinking about the seat height, I'd be grateful if someone with a completed 2B could tell me the actual height of the windscreen, when fitted, above the top dashboard chassis tube. Hopefully, I can then mock something up so I can get some idea as to whether I need to lower the seat. Also any suggestions on reccommended head position in relation to windscreen gratefully received

On a related issue, although I haven't yet fitted the drivers side tunnel panels, with the Recaro seat in (plastic trim from the drivers side removed), the side of the seat seems awfully close to the prop shaft, so much so, I'm wondering if it will fit once the tunnel side is fitted. Has anyone taken the engineers best mate i.e. a lump hammer, to the Recaros in order to get them to fit?

TIA

Phil Slater

Guest TerryBarry

Re' the seats and tunnel panel clearance.

I've used the supplied Recaro (without height adjustment) as the drivers seat. I've also removed the height adjusting mechanism from the other seat and fixed in in the lowest position by drilling the pivot arms and screwing them to the frame. I did think of drilling that toothed sector ( but it appears to be hardened).

I found that the seats fit better this way round and the recline and lumbar adjustment controls can be reached between seat and tunnel.

I set up the tunnel sides by placing a 12mm MDF spacer against the propshaft and pushing the panel against it before drilling the holes into the floor.

I've also removed all the plastic trim at present but will look at replacing part of it at the rear to cover the exposed metal bits of the reclining mechanism. You won't see them but you might find them if you drop something and start feeling around for it.

I haven't thought too much about the windscreen yet but when sitting in the drivers seat the top of my head is well below the roll bar.

Terry

Hi Phil,

Yep, Richard's little helper can be used successfully on the bottom tub

& the side wings of the Recaros....just pad it with softwood before attacking it.

Be careful about removing the plastic caps. The seat belt will run

past the metal remains & chafe if you're not careful.

Not only an SVA fail, but potentially life threatening.

PS....the exhaust wrap has disappeared in the gloomy recesses

of my garage, so I still have it. I'll dig it out when I get back from holiday &

email you off group.

Cheers, Bob.