Seat belt fixing points!

Guest Stevie83

Guest Stevie83

Hi there I am building an Exmo and am looking where and how to fix seatbelts. How, where and what are or is the best position/ location or method to do this. Am open to either 4 point harness or 3 point inertia seatbelts. Thanks for any advice.  Pics would be appreciated.  

The bottom mounts through the floor will be relatively easy but you'll need to make sure you put some big spreader plates underneath so that there is no chance of them pulling through in an accident. Myself, I'd go for some 4mm steel plate, of good square area, say 100x100mm *minimum*. The IVA guide has lots of information on anchorages (minimum bolt grades, distances apart, etc) so have a good read of it.

On the rear, you'll need to come over the brace bar that runs across the car and go down into the boot floor, again with suitable spreader plates. Don't use the leading edge of the rear of the boot - it's way too flimsy. I'd also consider making the brace bar a bit more permanent, maybe welding it in on brackets. The "roll-over hoop" (purely cosmetic on the Exmo) I wouldn't rely on too much if it's attached via exhaust clamps through the body... but, having said that, just putting some 4mm sheet onto the boot floor underneath them and welding that in place would help stop it punching through the floor in the worst case. Depends if you have one and if you're using the 3-point safety belt mounts on it or not :)