Heeeelp! Indicators

ibrooks

Wotcher folks,

OK an urgent one here. Turning into the site I'm working at today the indicators packed up. They were flashing whilst I was wainting at the junction but just stopped whilst I was sat there. I now don't have either direction but I do have hazards. Does anyone know anything about Scimitar wiring (SE6a) do the directions use the same relay as the hazards or are they separate? What else can I check here at work (very basic tools and the manual with the wiring diagram is at home) as I don't relish the idea of the trip home without indicators.

Iain

Guest Petemate

Hi Iain

Tricky one this. Not sure what relay arrangements are on the Scimitars, but as a general rule of thumb, if the hazards are ok, one likely cause is the hazard switch itself. When turning hazards off, the function of the switch is to restore the normal feed for the indicator circuit, and I've found in the past that a "furious" on-off-on-off application usually works if those contacts in it are a bit mucky. If this works, and the switch is easily removable, squirt some switch cleaner in it and give it another few operations. Worth a go.

HTH

Pete(Oldgit)

Thanks for the suggestions chaps. As it happens my initial suspicion was correct and it's the relay. Fortunately yes it does have a second relay of the same type for the hazards. I now have indicators but no hazards. I'll rob the relay from one of the other cars tonight and replace it at the weekend.

Iain