Rear Wheel Arches...

Hello, i am pretty new to this site but everyone seems clued up so i am looking for some advice.

I own a 2B and the back wheel arches dont look right. When you look at the car from the side there is a big gap at the back and small at the front in comparrisment to the tyre, i would say around 1.s inch clearance between tyre and arch at front and arount 6 or 7 inches at the rear. Does anybody know why this is. I thought maybe the rear susspension is too high but the ground clearance is level.

Any advice is very welcome..??

Guest Tony Tank

I have to say it sounds like a visual check was not done on the arches before final fit :mellow:(did you fit the arches without the wheels on )

I have just helped a member in Warrington fit he's and we checked and double checked before final fit and they look great.

Mine also look good.

Sorry if this was not the answer you was hoping for.

Regards ;)

Tank

Thanks tank, not really the answer i was after but...

I did check the arches when putting them on with the wheels in placebut it seemed that the arches could not have gone in any other position as in order for them to be a smooth curve and fit under the the chasis they had to go here, if i had moved the back in then they would have been to high and not met with the rear panel, if i remember correctly.

Can you think of anything else it could be???

If not i suppose i will have to remove them and try again

Guest salty_monk

Mine are also look like this & don't appear to be able to go anywhere else.... Pete (Oldgit) has had to add a supplemental frame to his in order to get the arches to sit right & I reckon that is what I would have to do to mine....

Guest Tony Tank

Just a quick one :D

When we fitted the Warrington set of arches I remember that we had one and a half fingers overhang on the rear panel and the lower edge of the wing lined up with the edge of the subframe just under the side panel.

Hope this helps a bit and as they say a picture paints a thousand words.

Tank

Guest TerryBarry

I've fitted the wider arches.

Took a lot of fiddling and I kept measuring gap between GRP and a moulded line on the tyre to get it as constant as possible front to back - there's a nice big gap at the top

It's not perfect - see below

Guest petespine

Hi

I had a problem getting the gap even at either side of the wheels, the gap on mine was bigger nearer the back, to remedy this i cut the tabs on the rear archers that attach to the side panels about 1/2 inch futher in and re-bent the tabs and this evened the gap up.

Pete

Guest Captain Daz

Pete has done exactly the right thing. Some of us got an additional video to help builders with this problem.

I had the same problem but cutting the extra 'fingers' sorted it. The only problem now is that the wing sits slightly forward of it's intended position. This means that the door will sit further forward and therefore the windscreen also. This means that the hood may not fit all the way from the screen to the rear panel.

I haven't bought a hood yet but I hear it's tight fit at the best of times. I may have to get a bespoke one made.

Cheers

Daren