Four Branch

Guest piddy

Hello.

Those of you that have fitted the RHE tubular four branch exhaust manifold,to the 2B where does your steering shaft sit between the pedals?

Between the clutch and Brake or Brake and accelerator pedals?

Thanks.

Guest jetskijase

Piddy

Mines between the brake and accel pedal, out in the engine bay it goes toward the outside of car over the top of alternator, ( i lowered it to the floor) to the rack, not to many problems.

Only thing is i cut the right tab off the mounting bracket where you've got the bushing, so it could be moved as far to the right as pos, towards outside of car.

There you go, clear as mud :p

Jase

Guest TerryBarry

I've done much the same as Jase - also cut rhs off mounting bracket

Yes and it's still fairly tight where it passes the exhaust manifold - not helped by the shaft being somewhat eccentric

Edited by TerryBarry

Guest chris brown
I've done much the same as Jase - also cut rhs off mounting bracket
well that makes three of us. ;) Push it as hard over to the side of the car as poss otherwise it will foul on the exhaust especially with the short rack. I have seen some 2Bs with a different rack where the shaft goes closer to the side of the car but mine and many more have very little clearance shaft/exhaust

Guest Phil Slater

Pretty much the same, but my steering shaft goes under my alternator as I picked up a smaller one from a Bedford Rascal - it's actually a Mitsubishi alternator - and fabricated a mounting plate. I also had to put wedges under my steering rack to get the UJ joint to stop binding.

Then the really difficulty bit :( the seemingly endless trial and error to get sufficient clearance between the shaft and the exhaust manifold. I eventually ended up with just about 3/8 inch clearance :wacko: - but it does run clear!!

Just be patient and keep at it and you'll eventually find the right spot.

Phil Slater

Hi Chris.

I had been told I would need to remove the head or engine. :huh:

But I have fitted it without removing the head or engine. :D I had to remove the steering column, sevo, alternator and steering shaft to get it to fit.

I fitted it last week to see if it could be modified so as to not have to change my steering shaft, I came to the conclusion that three of the pipes would have to be changed at a cost of about £150. :(

I then put the car back together in it's old state to get it through the MOT (passed with flying colours. D :D

I'm now at the stage of fitting it for real. So far I've had it on and off a few times while I enlarge the hole in the side panel. :wacko:

this is in a different position and will need to have a plate made to cover the part of the hole not needed :(

Out of interest it looks like my modified Alternator bracket will work if I add a spacer between it and the original ford one.(time will tell) :blink:

post-5-1098368584.jpg

Hi Chris

I mounted my shaft as far over to the right as poss. with the right-hand tab cut off the bracket. My alternator is mounted high using a very simple bracket and a standard length fan belt. See pics.

post-5-1098645093.jpg