Cb Radio

Guest red7

Guest Andy Hamilton

This brings back memories!

I used to blast out over the North West using a harrier rig and thunderpole antenna. Even tweaked the pots to up the power. I think I just went to the post office and got a licence for 15 quid after the police sat outside my house monitoring my comms.

Doubt there are many people on CB anymore. Just the truckers. It was pretty quiet when I was last on.

You may have some problems with range in certain directions on the RH as you can't mount your aerial centally. This means your ground plane will be off centre and you will get good range in some directions and not others. See what the guy says when setting it up. The chassis should provide a reasonable ground plane. After all, I started off with a whippy modulator on a tin tray! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good luck

Guest Andybarbet

As far as i'm aware, the current CB frequencies i.e. normal and mids are being phased out in the near future, so the licence will or definately in the near future, no longer be required, they are going to allocate new frequencies and a new licence.

This means that if you buy a current set (i still have one in my motor) youll be alright for quite a few years and no licence fee's !

They did a similar thing about 20 years ago.

Correct me if i'm wrong somebody........

By the way, £80 sounds good to me for that lot, midland are a good set, i've been running my Midland set for 10 years with no probs - are they 80 channel radios ?

Andy is correct, the licencing for CB's is finished in May (or was finished in May?) as it was found to cost more to collect & produce etc. then it was bringing in. So don't bother. The current sets on the current frequencies are OK for the next 10 years, then we'll have to change to the new ones that they intend to bring out.

A CB off e-bay will cost you £15 -£25, an aeriel will cost you £15 (complete with cable etc) you can even get your own SWR meter for around £8, now you decide if £80 is good value! (& you don't want a speaker, use ear pieces)

The ear pieces that we use can be bought from a number of good radio shops about £3 each, or by mail order from CPC in Preston, details are on our "useful part numbers page" (I think!)

Guest Battery Bill
Whatever the legalities of CB and licencing, I believe 'Mr Plod' has better things to do than worry about licence infringments.

OK Steve if you get caught quote Derek in your defence :lol: :lol: :lol: