Sva Fail At Gosforth

Guest Gpayne

well a nice rainy day to set out for sva ,helmet on despite having screen luckly it stoped after 10 mins an uneventfull drive except for a cough and splutter coming out of a roundabout any way my fail

1.steering rack extensions are of inadequate strength [dec 2000 model]

2.parking brake cable fouling on rear suspension

3.speedo inoperative above 40 mph

i would go on but thats it yipeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

fix

1 need to make some 1 piece extensions or get a new rack

2 2 p clips

3 need to get another set of clocks or try to see if it is the cable fouling

on the test rollers it just seemed toget to 40 and not go any further but not drop down either after he took his foot of the pedal any ideas

thanks to every one who has helped especialy sean & bob you know who you are

the quote of the day [the best robin hood ive seen]thanks dave(sva tester)

the last word must go to my wife kay thanks darling for all your support only one more hurdle

Guest chris brown

Well done Graham sounds like easy fixes I am surprised your steering failed is it not the same as others i.e. Threaded tube with different thread in each end to match the Metro?? rack to ford trackrod ends.

I had a similar problem with Spedo prior to SVA and found that I had bent the needle so as to catch on the Perspex but also check that you haven’t got some of the white plastic filings trapped in the mechanism.

If the speedo doesn't return then it's not the cable - it's something inside the gauge. My Sierra ended up with a white-dial kit from Lockwood because it had the sae symptoms when I got it. The 'paint' of the original numbers had started to peel and was obstructing the needle. I looked at several scrap-yard sets but they all looked the same (or at least starting to head that way).

Iain

Well done Graham nearly there. Looking forward to seeing you both on NE club runs in the Spring. :D Could you e-mail me the snap you took at the Christmas party for the club scrapbook please. Best Robin Hood ever eh? Better than Bobs? Could be a competition in the Spring. :D

Steve

yes chris they are the extensions with the two different threads at either end

but he didn't like the m14 threaded bar in between the extension and the track rod end he wants to see it all one piece. it looks like the speedo itself as i have striped it out and moving the pointer by hand it sticks so a trip to the scrappy is in order

mine is an f reg car would it be allright to take it from a h or j reg as long as it is a 2000cc?

thanks steven ill try and pm them to you

Guest Charles B

Several of us have had our cars SVA'd at Gosforth with the sametrack rod end set up as you with no problem, so you could argue if you want. In fact, the threaded rod into the adapter with the two threads is actually stronger, as, if you machine a one piece adapter, the thread will have to be cut into the metal. The threaded bar will be a rolled thread, which is much stronger.

Guest Sean Timney

Well done Graham!!!!!........ now give me Bob's collapsable boss back you thief :D (Bob, you may get it back before Spring mate!!!!! :lol: ) ....trying to get my re-test early Jan....

On a serious note...... Lads, Grahams car is really nice and deserves the comment from David (sva guru)........ i'll give you that one Graham, he told me mine was a good build and looked the part....guess you are the current holder of the "David - SVA Guru Award For Build Quality"...hahahahahaha

3 very minor things, easy fixes....well done...... and yes, i think i have a spare speedo if you want it........

I'm currently in sunny California and will be back around 6pm Tuesday UK time.........

Will call you when i get back..

Sean........