Wishbones

Guest Russler

Guest Russler

I have a 2001 2b with wishbones, over the past few months I have noticed it seems to have been clipping bumps more often to the point where it is hitting cats eyes as I overtake :( . Over christmas I have had a chance to look into it and have found that the nearside wishbone is curling up like a banana. Is this an isolated case or has anyone else experienced this? Before you ask I have not had any impacts although I do drive it with a spirited attitude, but in my eyes that is what the car is designed for <_<

I am slightly concerned but have not yet managed to speak to richard about it :unsure:

Guest salty_monk

Only if you don't mind them taking chunks out of your alloys...! :D

Perhaps the wishbones should be made out of a quarter hard material or something rather than the mild steel that I think they are made out of... mind you the welding would "let them down" again (soften them) so they would have to be hardened again after they have been built which would add time & cost...

Guest Russler

it only appears to be the nearside lower one, but I have not yet stripped it all down to check, I will get a photo on monday(i'm not at home at the mo)

mind you there is some consolation in that it has bent and not just fractured and tipped me in the hedge :( , although there is a slight pattern emerging here for me.

Guest chris brown
I am slightly concerned
So would I be. What mileage have you done mine has over 10k not careful miles and is fine. Also can you ever remember curbing it at any time?

Chris

Guest Battery Bill

Olly

so dose this mean slideing pillers are better than wishbone setup lol

Bad news for you then :lol: You could be the first to "Retro fit a set of sliding pillocks to your new wishbone car :lol:

Guest Russler

I have done about 20k now I think, and I have never curbed it, my alloys are still imaculate of which I am very proud. However having now said that you know whats going to happen next week. :rolleyes: .

Mind you I have had a top balljoint snap, a bottom one unsrcrew from the wishbone, and the bottom stud strip. I really don't drive it that badly HONEST I think my luck is about to change, I HOPE, I am running short of close escapes :D

Guest Russler

unfortunately all the incidents happened on the other side, there are some good points made on the locost site there Graham, I am definately going to look into the coil binding on the springs, I know mine are wound up quite tight so it could be a possibility under high loading <_<

Russler

This is what I think is happening...

If your suspension bottoms out under braking and while bottomed out you hit a bump (a small one will do) the energy then has to lift the whole car as there is no travel left, resulting in severe stress...

The weakest link is the bit just after the 6mm plate :( :boohoo:

Dave

Guest Russler

That is the conclusion I have also come to, however as you will see when I post a photo next week the bend isn't occuring in one position as you would expect from a high stress concentration but along the length of the wishbone. :wacko:

If I get a chance I will run a simulation in Ansys to try and get an idea of the stresses involved. Does anyone know the wall thickness of the tube rh have used?