2b Upper Seatbelt Mounts

Guest Cantbearsed

Guest Cantbearsed

I've been eyeing with growing suspicion the upper seatbelt mounting points on my 2B chassis. I'm referring to the 4 little tubes on the rear of the top of the seat back.

Anybody actually used them successfully and Passed the SVA or are they just there to make weight?

As far as I understand, Seatbelt bolts are of a certain size and hardness which is marked on the heads (8.8 , 10.4 etc...). These tubes look too small to accept seatbelt bolts.

Whats the answer people??

Guest chris brown

Mine has the tubes welded to a square section tube that runs across between the roll over bar which is very strong and passes SVA OK but some have a round tube in place of the square one and that has been questioned at some SVA stations as the weld is rather small. The bolts supplied with the kit have the head of the bolts marked out into three parts these are acceptable.

Guest jetskijase

HI

I cut the tibes off, welded 3mm angle right across the box then i could use the bolts provided with the belts, got hold of sum nuts and welded them to the angle.

jase

Guest Sean Timney

I also have the tubes welded on the box section as supplied.....they passed SVA no problem...they have collars inside the tubes and are of adequate strength (so says SVA man at Gosforth)

Sean.

Guest Russler

I have a piece of angle bolted through the (shortened) tubes, with harnesses bolted to the angle. Passed fine and allowed the belts to be lined up with the holes in the seats. ^_^

Guest Ben Salt

I've got the standard tubes on the back of the box. I just bought some long high tensile bolts (possibly from screwfix?), and bolted the harness with those. Passed SVA at gillingham/sittingbourne in december no problem.

Ben

Guest Cantbearsed

hmmm, so is the criteria for sva such that if you cant get at both nut and bolt you must have captive (welded i guess...) locknuts or can you thread the sleeves and fit high tensile bolts directly into them, being part of the chassis etc...?

i have an sva manual from 2002 but am unsure how many updates have been and gone since then. not many i am told.... anybody know different?

just for reference i have the stainless kit with the square shoulder bar with the tubes fully welded along their lengths both sides (4 tubes, 8 welds)

good job really as its been outside since sept 2002... :blink:

Chris Brown, can you post a pic of your bolt heads please as I've had all kinds of bolt, clip and nut related shenanigans with my heap of parts and i cant find ANY with a pattern dividing the head into 3 except for 4 which are far too thin for the job. they are about 60x8mm and have LO\RO/8.8/ on the top. they are blak in colour with bzp nylocs on them.

any ideas???

Guest chris brown

Mine are silver colour with nylock nuts and as you can get to them they are not welded to the bottom of the tubes which have sleeves in them same as Sean

The things we do I have just been out and taken this picture. It's snowing and *beep* cold.

Guest Cantbearsed

Thanks Chris for that pic.

Definitely not got THOSE bolts. very distinctive.

Had a splash of snow here in Luton earlier today but cleared up as soon as it hit the floor. just very cold and wet now.

must be summer :lol:

Guest TerryBarry

The SVA manual states

"NOTE 1: A suitable single bolt fixing of adequate strength would be, for example, a bolt of at least 11mm (7/16") diameter of grade 8.8 (the grade may not be shown on a bolt produced for seat belt anchorage)

Other bolt fixings may be acceptable providing they are of equivalent strength"

I believe that there is some movement within the car industry to use M10 bolts as a replacement for the current 7/16" UNF, being part of metrication.

But I don't know when, if ever, this may be introduced -so it's got to be 7/16" or M12 for SVA - I dont think M12 will pass through your mounts.

Just checked M12 will not pass through on my chassis

Edited by TerryBarry

Guest chris brown

Very smart Racman I think that looks superb. But you wouldn’t have done that if you had stainless as the square section is almost as hard as a drill and it takes a 3.3mm drill all its time to get through it so as to put in the rivets (about the most difficult drilling job I had)