headlight problems

Guest stevey

Guest stevey

Hi I think I may be getting a reputation on this forum as the clubs worst electrician! any how todays grief. I am using the now (in)famous vicki green wiring loom and the headlights are not working. I purchased from Robin Hood the side light adapters and have wired everything as per diagram,however on the 1st switch position side lights come on just fine but click the Sierra switch up to headlights nothing! side lights stay on but no headlights however to add to my confusion if I use the headlight flasher on the indicator stalk main beam operates as you would expect. I am puzzled the brown and black bridge wire which runs across to the multi plug to the one that has the brown/yellow and brown/white I think is the supply to the headlight but I have a wire cut off on that terminal whcih goes nowhere? (the two brown/black wires are to the same connection on the multi plug good news indicators etc all fine :angry:

Guest Taffy Rob

Hi Steve

relax, its nothing you are doing wrong, all VG looms have this problem, basically there is no power feed to the lights (side and flasher are independant circuits). You have a few options, such as you could try and find the fed wire to the switch (might be black and yellow but you'd have to check with Haynes), and connect this to a green wire on the loom, or you could fit a relay as in the sierra (probably best option and will allow more powerful lights).

You also need to work out which is the output from the switch (think its two brown/black), and wire these into the brown/black on the flasher switch, as this will give you the outputs for main/dipped.

Rob

Guest stevey

Thanks for the advice Taffy Rob I tried what you suggested but still no joy let's throw this one open for any ideas I ran a power feed from green wire(from the now infamous vicki green loom) to the lack and yellow which following the haynes manual is terminal 30 on the switch but I get no power out from brown/black to power up headlights I have run 12v to the brown/black bypassing the switch and hey presto dip/main beam! more questions coming now on the top of the switch there are 2 tags I have connected and earth from the r/h tag but have not connected anything to the left hand tag (this is looking at the switch from behind dash)2nd when you read the haynes manual it mentions an earth fitted to the mounting screw there is no continuity through the switch so why fit it ? (I haven't by the way)next puzzle the brown/black is it a switched nuetral or a switched positive? last has anyone actually finished one of these damned looms!!!!! I want to speak to you cos I am the weakest link!!! I have spoken to Richard several times about the kit but this loom is taking the yellow stream!(politeness and the moderators are keeping this clean)help some one I have all but finished the car it looks great and the sun is shining but no hope of sva like this :(

Guest stevey

hey! headlights sorted,the fix was to add a live feed to the connection on the top of the switch hey presto a gazillion candlepower flooding the workshop!!! well maybe a slight over statement! thanks to all for help especially Gareth(see flightless build) who was a wonder with his multimeter sva here I come!!! :lol: