Starter Motor Problems

Guest alan rowe

Guest alan rowe

Can anybody help with any suggestions to sort my starter motor out

It is now regularly sticking and takes loads of trys before I can get it to turn the engine over

Is there anything that can be done other than having to replace it or do I just have to live with it as it is

Frustrated Alan

Guest Stuart Ainslie
Can anybody help with any suggestions to sort my starter motor out

It is now regularly sticking and takes loads of trys before I can get it to turn the engine over

Is there anything that can be done other than having to replace it or do I just have to live with it as it is

Frustrated Alan

Replace your starter motor with Rizla's engine..... ;) ;)

Guest alan rowe

good idea Stuart but is it big enough (and powerful enough) - but seriously though it is frustrating and always happens at the wrong time

Thanks Nicko - I will give your idea a try

A

Guest Andy Rathbone

its normally the dust off you clutch gumming up the spline, i had this problem on another car,

solution, take off starter clean it air WD40 wipe off all excess WD40 trying to leave the surfaces dry and clean refit starter, either that or your solenoid might be on its way out, try cleaning first its cheeper

hi alan, you wont beable to live with it, it will catch you out on the wetest day mudiest field, and nobody about, sounds like solonoid get it to your local autospark. LYNN

Guest hypermick

Hi Alan,.

Hope this helps. You will need to check various stages of the starter motor. Having removed it first of all earth the case and test that the solenoid is pulling in ok. Simply place a live connection momentarily to the small terminal on the solenoid and the pinion should fly forwards making a heavy click. If alls well, using a car battery and jump leads earth the starter out and momentarily touch the heavy terminal at rear of the starter body with the positive lead. The starter should now whir happily. Next, with the starter still earthed out put the positive lead on the large terminal on the solenoid. Not the one which joins solenoid to starter, but the other one. Nothing should happen at this time until you take a second positive lead and place it to the small solenoid connector, at which point the starter solenoid should fly forward together with the starter motor turning as well. also ensure that the connections are tight between the solenoid and the starter motor (heavy short cable).

If test one fails either the pinion shaft needs cleaning or the solenoid is playing up.

If test two fails it will probably be the starter motor brushes, inspect and change them remembering to clean the back of the commutator with petrol or thinners. You can also remove any signs of carbon deposit from the commutator carefully using 400 grit wet and dry, but remeber to clean the paxolin segments with something sharp. Do go easy on it though !

best Mick.

Guest alan rowe

WOW what an answer - thanks Mick

I dont want to sound like a wet weak but my first problem to enable to follow your technical suggestions is that to remove the starter motor the engines got to come out - and I really do not want to do that (plus I havent the facility to do it anyway)

If I did have to go to that length - agarage would have to do it and I would just have a new one fitted

Is there nothing I can have a go at without it having to be removed

Alan

Guest hypermick

Hi Alan,.

If you can physically get to the connections you can still do each of those tests.

If its the brushes, theres nothing for it,. its a starter motor off job, Im afraid !

Are the ignition/oil lights on the dash panel dimming when you try to turn it over ?

Or are you just getting a "clunk" and nothing else ? also, when you do get it started turn the headlamps on,. and look at their brightness as you rev the engine, does it go up/down with the revs ?

Certain indications point to various problem areas. Also make really sure that all earth leads are tight especially engine to chassis and chassis to battery. You would be surprised how many times earth leads cause starting problems. Use a jump lead from the battery earth direct to the engine block. See if that helps,. if it does you have an earth fault on the straps, probably from the engine to the chassis.

One last thing, if for any reason a jump start off another vehicle cracks it straight into life, its not the starter motor so expect that its the battery (either faulty or not charging because of an alternator fault) the alternator if it is charging properly should be showing about 13.5/14 volts across the battery terminals when the vehicle is running. If its less than 12volts get the battery charged up properly and try to start the car on a fresh charge. If it fires up straight away the alternator needs checking out as does the fanbelt for excess slackness.

Sorry to anyone out there if this all seems patronising or if Im trying to teach anyone to suck eggs (it really isnt intended!) but even with 30 years of mech experience Ive been caught out myself with problems like this, and where possible Im pleased to help out where I can having learned from my own experiences !

best to everyone

Mick.

Guest alan rowe

thanks again Mick for a stack of info

electrics are not a strong point of mine so in laymans terms this is whats happening

the battery has plenty of power and turns the engine over nice and quickly and it fires straight away

when the starter chooses not to work, it just makes a click when i press the satarter button and the ignition and oil lights go dim

regarding your other checks, i wont be able to check out until next weekend but thought letting you have what i know at the moment might help your diagnosis

Alan