Chassis Preparation

Guest DROID

Guest DROID

I have purchased the stainless steel option with my kit as I don't want the hassle of plastic coating/painting. Can anyone advise the best method of finishing the welds as I believe they may discolour through time?

Guest TerryBarry

Hi Andrew,

Remember that most of the welds will not show on the finished car.

I've ground down the exterior area of the welds so that they will allow the body panels to fit without distortion. The welds can then be over painted. I'm using silver paint.

Where the welds are obvious - such as the roll over bar I'm grinding them down carefully and following up with a 80 grit Flexi Disc in the small angle grinder. After that I've polished using a high speed buffing mop and polishing compound. I've only done the one weld so far but it looks fine. I'm currently investigating buffing / polishing off the discolouration caused by the welding on the headlight mounting brackets etc.

HTH

Terry

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Mrbig

I have been a bit slow in getting on with my 2B, but at the start I polished the roll cage bar and 2 rear supports. The welds were ground to a cometic shape and polished up BRIGHT B) , they have remained bright in the workshow for over a year now, when other ordinary steel has rusted in the damp .....

hope this helps ....

I intend to clear laquer the rest is the chassis after scotch-brite buffing.

Chris