Rear Suspension

Guest DROID

Guest DROID

I'm going to use the original front struts for the rear suspension, but when I cut them down as per the video and offered up the rear springs the step on the macpherson strut is to narrow and spring can fully rotate with any difficulty??

Has anyone else had this problem and if so how was it resolved?????

Hopefully theres light at the end of the tunnel.

Droid

Guest SteveL

Hi

I had some problems using the front struts for the rear suspension. There appear to be as many different shapes of strut as there are Sierrras out there!

I went in the other direction, using the other end of the strut, and some M20 studding/nuts/washers to create fully adjustable spring seats which can be used with the standard Sierra springs.

Take a look at the Robin Hood Yahoo group photo's section. There are a series of photos of this being done, and instructions on how to do it. I would give you the correct URL, but I can't access it at the moment ('cause of the firewall at work!)

Steve

Hi Driod,

I had the same problem,

The tops of the front springs are narower than the bottom and so the Mc.P (cant spell it!) strut is small. This means that when you offer up the rear spring is doesn't fit the contures of the strut verry well.

However, the outside of the lip of the strut does cover the spring and this is ok (I hope).

When you jack the car up with the diff and let the wheels hang there, the springs must be tight, i.e. not wobbely as they will check this in the SVA test.

Guest Fred2b

I also used the cut down strut. On my doner car the rear springs had a rubber moulding on the top between the spring and the body. I used this on the 2B between the spring and the upside down strut. The step in the strut does not matter then because the rubber takes care of it. Mine do not move.

Make sure you have as much as possible on the strut to push into the roll bar. I only allowed the 100mm or so as on the video but now the car sits too low and will bottom out on small humps. To get round this I have welded an extra piece on the end so it is now about 250mm and gives plenty of adjustment.

Also beware that at SVA and MOT when the car is jacked up with the wheels hanging the springs must be firmly seated with no movement.

Regards

Fred

Guest DROID

A big thanks to all that replied, your help is much appreciated. I'm not sure what route to go down but at least I know it will be okay.

P.S How do you access the Yahoo Group???????????

Droid

Guest SteveL
A big thanks to all that replied, your help is much appreciated.  I'm not sure what route to go down but at least I know it will be okay.

P.S How do you access the Yahoo Group???????????

Droid

Blimey! These new builders! :p

Go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/robinhood2b/ and join the group. There's loads of good information there and a lot of the common questions have already been answered.

There's a "Photo's" area where you can showcase your car, or your brilliant ideas, although I believe that it's fairly full at the moment. It's not that well organised, although there was a push a while ago to create a Knownege Base (by Dave Wilson), it seems to have stalled a bit now.

Speaking of Dave Wilson, does anyone still see or hear from him these days? Does he still have Hawkwind?

Steve