Starter Problem

Guest red7

Just got back from a run in the Hood. Switched off the engine and gave the girl a quick wash down. When I turned the key to start her up...just a high speed whirr from the starter motor. It was cold and getting dark so I pushed her into the garage and closed the door. Oh no, what have I broken? Any ideas? :boohoo:

Guest rizla

;) well it will for now,but a 4 cylinder engine stops in 2 places all the time,and its these 2 parts of the ring gear that wear,easy fix is to turn the flywhwheel round one bolt hole if possible,but as the box/engine is out a ring gear isnt that expencive

but i think it may just be your starter

Just had a bash at that. Stuck her in 4th and rocked her a bit. Just more electric drill noises......I'll have another go tomorrow. Thanks lads. So Rizla, do you think I'm missing a few flywheel teeth and the starter pinion is turning in free air?

Guest chris brown

Sounds like there is crud (polite word for sh1t) in the preselect part. The solenoid is supposed to throw the drive into mesh but sometimes dirt and oil make the throw slow and it doesn’t reach mesh hence the motor starts and runs with no load

Guest gordon_macnab

I had this before , it was the connection into the solenoid.

Take the starter off and power it up on the bench with some jump leads to confirm to see if the solenoid is engaging.

If it's not it's only a five minute job to fit a new solenoid.

Gordon

Guest craig030774

get a small link wire from the big nut on the starter + and touch it on the small spade connector you should hear a clunk if not its a solenoid problem

you can generally repair these by means of cleaning.

Guest Andybarbet

The ring gear on mine is very worn in two places as Riz said, can it just be moved round 90 degrees ?? if not, how expensive is a new one and how easy is it to remove from the flywheel ?

(sorry to hijack the thread !)

andy, as riz says it can be moved, but if your pulling engine box etc you just as well change it, fairly easy to do, the ring gear will split with a sharp cold chisel or a grinder, CHECK FOR SPOT WELDS,in case its been changed before, if so grind them off, once the old gear is off you will need to heat the new gear to expand it, i use a burning lamp, but others may have different veiws, be careful not to blue the steel, then drop it over the flywheel and allow it to cool and shrink, then put three spot welds on the rear of the flywheel to ensure it does not slip, as others will tell you can and has happened. BEWARE MAKE SURE YOU FIT THE RING GEAR THE CORRECT WAY ROUNDit does matter with some

Guest salty_monk

Think fitting is documented on the North West site.... if not there I have definitely seen pics. From memory the guy was heating up in his barbecue...!! :D

electric drill noises

This sounds like the motor is just spinning and not engaging at all so I suspect the ring gear is fine. If it sounds like you're trying to drill through the engine with a hammer drill then it's probably ring gear.

Don't start removing the engine if you don't need to Red7.