Stainless Steel Chassis - Paint Or Not..?

Guest Twoscoops

I'm in no way biased, but it just makes a better class of car! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Seriously - All stainless will rust EVENTUALLY, but we're talking hundreds (or even thousands) of years here, not days like mild. If they've used stainless weld then apart from a bit of surface tarnishing it'll be fine.

Ant

Guest mickmellors

The iron content in the stainless used in the tubing on the 2B comes to the surface of the molten weld pool by a process referred to as 'migration'. It is this that rusts. It can be dealt with before it becomes a problem quite easily.

It is highly unlikely that rust will erupt on the non-welded tube. My professional involvement with stainless has shown that certain acids (eg Hydrofloric - used to 'pickle' welds on piping systems) can cause a brown dicolouration but it is highly unlikely that your car will come into contact with such acids.

I have the stainless chassis. The first work I did on the build was to go over every bit of every weld with an grinder fitted with a flap-wheel disk ( fantastic tool ) to smooth everything out nicely. When I was happy with the whole chassis I lifted it up onto 3 upturned milk crates and sprayed 3 light coats of aerosol laquer on each weld all the way round.

Admittedly i am still building and the chassis has never been out of the garage but there is absolutely no sign of rust anywhere.

Of course I cant get at the INSIDE of the tube to treat the welds but I estimate it will take several decades before rust reduces my chassis to an unsafe condition so I'll settle for making sure I warn my great grandchildren to keep an eye out for problems in the future when they inherit the car !

Mick M