Brake Pipes On De-dion Tube

Guest Guy

So hears my problem,

I have mounted the T junction of the rear brake line on the de-dion tube. I have also welded some brackets on the tube to hold one end of the flexi brake lines.

I have the fule tank, pump and seat back panel in and my question is this:

Will it pass SVA with the brake things on the tube or do I have pull it all apart befor I go any further and mount it all on the chassis?

Has anyone else mounted there brake lines like this and passed SVA?

Guest daveg

Guy

Don't rip it apart now...

Go to the sva and see what happens, I think the tube is part of the chassis with all the bolts it has :huh:

If the examiner disagrees then change it...new builders, like me :D , can avoid putting the brake lines on this tube to satisfy over zelious examiners...

For God's sake, if you get hit so hard the tube becomes disconnected, brake failure will be the least of your problems... :(

Dave

Guest neil gale

Guy

I mounted my brake T union on the top of the de dion tube, just behind the top of the tunnel tubes. Once built you can hardly see the T piece, but the sva man seemed perfectly happy with it, he didnt ask where / how it was mounted either.

As long as it looks secure it should be fine.

The tube does become part of the chassis by the time its all bolted together so dont worry about that.

Have got retest on thurs (5th) so fingers crossed!

Neil.

Given that you've already done it I'd leave it as is. If asked simply explain that the rubber de-dion mounts only locate the rear suspension. Point out the rigid bolts, the trailing arm bolts at the outer edges, and the rigid diff mount at the back. This should satisfy them. The only reason I didn't argue it was that it was a 5 minute job to make the changes which they requested. I hadn't actually mounted stuff on the de-dion tube - just put a fuel pipe in a narrow gap between the tube and the chassis rails.

Ant