Ride Height/front Shocks

Guest Nick B.

Guest Nick B.

Hi all,

Recently got on the road but not very happy with the ground clearance. Scraped the sump a few times!.

I have an Rs2000 alloy sump(does this give as much clearance as a standard modified sump?) and the standard wishbone set up.

I have tried raising the height of the car by winding the springs nuts up a bit but they just become coil bound and it doesnt seem to make any difference. In fact I think the springs look bad wherever you adjust the nut to! They dont seem to be able to support the weight of the car??

Any simple solutions or is it time to give Dampertech a ring?

Cheers.

Guest TerryBarry

The RS2000 sump gives you about 1/2 inch less clearance than a properly shortened steel sump. If you look at yours check how much lower the bottom of the sump is compared to the bottom of the bell-housing.

I've got all this to come yet as I've got the same set up but it's not on the road yet

Guest Nick B.

Terry,

When you look at the sump next to the bell housing it looks about the same level.

I think I might put some more washers under the engine mounts to lift it a little.

Every mm counts!

Bob,

It's funny you should mention the blocks underneath the bracket cause I had a little play around last night with some ali blocks. Only did it on one side though but it did raise the car a little. The only thing that worries me about it is there desnt seem to be much travel in the damper and the spring looked very compressed. I think I will do the other side tonight and se how it rides.

Cheers

Nick.

Guest TerryBarry

Nick,

If you raise the engine on it's mounts watch the clearance of rocker box / oil filler cap to the bonnet and the exhaust manifold to steering shaft and servo - especially if you've got the 4 into 1 S/S jobby

Guest Nick B.

Good Point! I will have a look at that tonight.

It really is true what they say about finishing the car AFTER you get it on the road.

My wifes delighted to hear about the extra work I have to do!!!

Guest Phil Slater

I've got a similar problem with my 2B+ with alloy sump. I've moved the lower coilover brackets ain far as I can and wound up the springs a bit but the car isstill bottoming on the hoop as I drive in my garage.

I was wondering about spacer blocks myself.

Nick I'd be interested to hear what sort of extra height you get by using them.

Phil Slater

Guest Phil Slater

Just been in the garage pondering the spacer option and had a closer look at the springs. You're right they do look bad until you lift the car up with a jack................. and take the weight off :angry: :angry:

I've only got my springs adjusted up about ten threads and the springs are close to binding. So I think you're right Nick they are not strong enough to support the car <_<

If I remember correctly from previous threads I don't think there is a stronger spring option for the RH coil overs but perhaps someone would kindly confirm that ..... or not... as the case may be.

If not anyone got any recommendations for replacements please?

Phil Slater

Guest jetskijase

hi all

I think the only route is to upgrade to better shocks i looked into this a while back, there was a thread about the dummy strut not being welded correctly, but i think they where all ironed out.

But wedging the shocks might not help, because, if you take off the bottom bracket of the shock and jack the car up the wishbones ( sorry 2b plus only) only have a certain amount of downward travel anyway.

You know you want new avo's all round :p :p

As usual clear as mud!!

Jase

Guest Phil Slater

:huh: £350 :( that's gonna sting a bit - think I'll have to sell the wife. Ouch :wub: shouldn't have typed that with her looking over my shoulder!!

Thanks for the replies anyhow!

What spring rate did you go for with the AVO's? I've been searching through some threads and it seems some folk have upgraded their dampers yet have only got 250lbs rated springs. Now, given the Zeemerides are supposed to be rated at 320lbs won't that make matters worse or am I missing something about damper technology :blink: ?

Thanks again

Phil Slater

Guest kenton

I had the same problem, coil bound springs etc etc. The ride was also poor as the front shocks were so hard. At detling show i had a chat to "mr gaz" i came away with a pair of 14" 325 lb adjustable damper shocks. They are GREAT, the ride and handling is fab!! £140 cash, money well spent.

Guest Battery Bill

Yup I agree with Kenton aftermarket shocks are the way forward especially ater our experiences at Wales and Hopefully our full set of Gaz's will be ready for collection at Stoneleigh

Guest Nick B.

Thanks everyone,

Last night I finished fitting the 1" thick ali blocks under the bottom brackets and wound the nuts up to about 10 threads showing below.

The springs do still look like they dont have much travel left in them but there is now about 60 - 70mm clearance under the sump. (too late to measure it properly). Took it for a quick test drive and it did feel a little better apart from the tracking! (It doesn't self centre - IT SELF STEERS)

I think i'm going to run it for a few days and see how it goes - Fingers Crossed!

Cheers

Nick.

On the zimmerframes that i have, if you dismantle them, then under the top cover/spring mount are a set of about 4 to 6 washers which raise the hight. If you have the same , would a few extra washers give you some extra hight and reclaim a bit of spring travel? I have a series 3 in early build but would like to get it down low so i may experiment with removing the washers 1 or 2 at a time. Any comments from those that have done it?