2.0 Efi Fuel Pump

Guest neil gale

Guest neil gale

My 2.0 efi pinto has a new cosworth fuel pump, and runs smoothly all the time, but for some reason the fuse blows now and again.

Its not a regular occurrence, but has happened twice now in 200 miles or so, but only when the engine is warm (or seems to be the case)

Anyone any ideas???

I reckon it's probably a dodgy wire somewhere shorting to earth every now and again. If the pump does want more than 30Amp then don't just replace the fuse with a higher rated one. The wiring is only 30Amp. If you increase the current the wiring may burn out, over heat, or even ignite!

Ant

Guest Julian B

Hi

Does the pump have a power rating writen on it? A pump drawing 30 Amps would be rated at about 360 watts which seems like quite a lot. If you have an ameter can you measure the normal current draw?

Cheers

Guest neil gale

Im not sure if the pump has a rating, but like you i suspect if it draws more than 30 amps then its a wiring problem, even cosworth fuel pumps arent that powerful.

Will have a look and see if i can find a rating somewhere on it, and check all the wires.