Brake Problem

Guest Do I

Hope someone can help.

I have replaced the master cylinder and bled the brakes.When the engine is off the pedal is nice and firm at the top, but when I start the engine the pedal goes to the floor,if I pump it it(?) goes better but not firm and near the top.

The brakes have not been used for a year as this is a new build. The SVA is in a week so I need to fix this

Cheers Geoff

Guest Bazwaz

It sounds like you still have some air trapped in there. I might be wrong but i think in some cases it's possible to fit the calipers on the wrong wheels so they're fitted upside down, make sure the bleed valve is at the top of the caliper.

Barry.

Guest Jim Castle

I had the same problem with spongy brakes. Turend out to be the brake compensating valve which i ended up binning. brakes were then rock hard. Had no probelm passing SVA the other day without it.

HTH

Jim

Guest DaveB

Hi Geoff

Is it the old bad penny calipers on the wrong sides is it I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong but I think the bleed nipples have to be at the top I understand they just refuse to bleed if they are not right.

HTH

Dave B :D

Guest paul thompson

Do you have the RHE Calipers or the Sierra ones. I had the same problem and it was the pad on "the cock" Oh er missus... it jammed against the caliper and bent the back plate so that it was parralell with the disk and looked OK when you peered in with the wheel on. I got a set of bleed nipples, getting very riscay here cocks and nipples... and blocked the master cyl ports pedal hard, connected the rear, pedal hard. connected the front right pedal hard when eng off, soft when on. What was happening is that with the engine off the pressure I could build did not bend the back plate , with the booster on I could. hence it felt hard without booster, spongy with. New pads and careful rebuild of the calipers on the car, and evrything is fine. I don't have the decel valve but a PCRV from a Mondeo in line, seems to work OK with the limited testing I have done. Hope that helps.

Paul