Superspec

Guest Build-it

Guest Build-it

Top fixing caused the inner cable to snap I would say due to fatigue through flexing when operating the clutch pedal. Any body know where I could buy one ?

RHSC say their new policy is to have the old one returned so that they can consider the reason that it broke, although how they could say without seeing it in place I do not know.

Anyway I'd rather just replace it locally so that I do not loose the use for too long so if anybody knows the origin of this cable I would be grateful to hear. RHSC say they do not know what is provided in the kit and asked for the original packaging, which of course did not exist. I did hear that it is from a transit van or similar and then not for the clutch in that case but I can't remember. Its about 6 feet long and is routed past the front of the engine, an eye at the top end that is supposed to be cut off and a 50mm threaded fixing about m6 the clutch end

Lucky that it broke when I was stationary and not on the move. Is this possibly yet another poor design problem ? The new Richard on the help line (not thankfully RS)did his best but does not actually have any experience with the Superspec. I am waiting for them to return to me with either the confirmation that they can replace it even at my expense or the details so that I can replace it but I do not hold out much hope from RHSC.

Guest Build-it
oh yeah... forgot to mention... don't cut the eyelit off, instead fix it to the pedal so that it is free to move. :D

Will

Thanks Will I'll visit the Fiat dealer tomorrow morning

Yes, I did that and the damn thing locked up without me knowing after about 350 miles so a rethink of design there me thinks.

Guest Wick12

What I did, if it is any help was to leave the cable un-butchered and weld a support angle on the pedal lever to form a fork which a 6mm shoulderd bolt with nylock nut went through, thus making proper use of the cable eye and allowing it to swivel without the metal fatigue.

Guest bugsy

My clutch cable snapped at the point in the pedal box too after 100miles , luckily it was on a roundabout just before i got on the M60 at manchester, got a replacement from ford (transit) which works but is not ideal, but it makes the clutch a lot easier to operate, the quality is much better than the supplied one.

Bugsy

I did the same as Wick12 and did not cut the cable but made use of the original eyelet. I also welded a support bracket onto the side of the pedal and put a bolt and nylock through so that the cable end can give a straight pull as the pedal rotates. The clutch feels fine but I also increased the length of the clutch and brake pedal to bring them closer to the floor by about 30mm to bring them closer to the ball of my foot and further away from the steering UJ. The cable has shown no problems in the 900 miles I have done so far.

John

Guest Battery Bill

John

The cable has shown no problems in the 900 miles I have done so far.

I should hope not! At 900 miles you should not be worrying about a clutch cable breakage :rolleyes: Sounds like this is another Superspex mass problem :boohoo:

How about some pictures of the set up so we could try and offer help :D

Guest rusty
B) the clutch cable is being stretched quit a bit when changing gear and the clutch being heavy as well I have fitted a stop for the cablle in the pedal box so I know when I have depressed it enough, being a bit heavy footed this has taken some of the presure off the cable, up to 850 mls now clutch feels fine now touch wood, I made the stop using a bracket mounted on the side of the pedal box a 12mm bolt a nut on one side and a nyloc on the other for ajustment seems ok hopefully make the cable last a bit longer :blink: