Hot Under My Bonnet

Guest alan rowe

Guest Daren.F

Has any one put an oil cooler on a pinto ?

They seem cheep £40 ish plus pipes I'm not sure where you would connect the feed, usually on the filter mounting but I've not investigated if there is a suitable port. if not, it may be expensive to get a adaptor.

Wraping the exhaust, (band name?) transfers the heat outside the car and may make the exhaust hotter leading to burnt legs,kids,dogs etc.

Daren

Guest Tim Norman

Fitting an oil cooler is simple. All you need is a sandwich plate, it fits between the block and the filter, and the pipes. I've mounted mine behind the radiator. The engine runs at 78 degrees. I too tried wrapping the exhaust with some glass fibre bandage, never again, next time I'll use the right stuff.

My oil cooler is a biggun at 19 rows. The whole cooling package will, in traffic, drop the temp down to 70 degrees when I turn the fan on.

Cheers

Bobsmate

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Peter n the better half

This takes me back a few years .

Having raced a fiesta in Rallycross i had to move the radiator into the boot space to save the thing from catching a stone and bursting etc (ok the odd gentle tap to get some out of the way too).

As the tank was in the boot it sapped all the heat blown through the rad so a heat sheild was needed.

2 electric fans were mounted on the rads for cooling and they kept it all really cool.

With the RH having no boot floor there isnt a problem with air flow to the rad only the stones and rubbish thrown up from the road imagine if you will a carrier bag placed neatly over the rad ....before too long the heat builds up so a grill maybe needed.

and the header tank need to be there too.

Duct the air flowing into to bonnet to mainly flow over the headers and presto cooler running.

Guest Peter n the better half

As for the oil cooler .. Shouldnt this be mounted in front of the radiator ?

After all the air that has passed through the water rad will decrease the efficiency of the oil cooler..

Guest cjbailey

And vice-versa. If you place the oil cooler infront of the radiator then you will decrease the efficiency of the radiator surely???

Which is the lesser of the two evils?

Guest Mr Pid

I had a bit of thought on this point.

What about going down the scrappy and getting a couple more heater matrix's- you could build a little bracketry for these and tuck them on the nsd of the engine bay, they are small, cheap and im sure they will be pretty effective. :)

On the oil cooler front, i will be eventually going down this route prob best speak to demon tweeks, burton power etc.

Cheers

Stu :rolleyes: