Engine Choices

Guest pauls13

Guest pauls13

Hi everyone,

I'm looking at getting a 2B (preferably already built) and fitting a different engine, I gather the 2B takes a pinto as standard, I was wondering if anyone else has fitted alternative engines and is there much room to play with?

I ask this because I have a compact 1.8 turbo engine that I think may fit in quite nicely.

Sorry if its been asked before, I tried a search and didn't find much. :)

Cheers

Paul

Guest daveg

Paul

Others have fitted Vauxhall, V8 :o , Toyota and Rover engines that I have heard of :huh:

But it must be a real load of work...you will need to match the engine you have to the gearbox...then the prop may need short/lengthening...and space under the bonet may be in short supply so you may have to modify the bonet and/or anything that is high on the engine!

Dave :unsure:

Guest pauls13

Thanks for the reply Daveg,

Basically at the moment I have a Nissan 200sx, I intend to put the car back to standard and sell it, I will buy a written off example and fit a standard engine/gearbox back in and take the loom out for the 2B (if I decide to do it), the engine I have had 315bhp when I last stuck it on the rollers so I imagine it will make one fast 2B!

How much does a 2B weigh?

Cheers

Paul

Basically at the moment I have a Nissan 200sx, I intend to put the car back to standard and sell it, I will buy a written off example and fit a standard engine/gearbox back in and take the loom out for the 2B (if I decide to do it), the engine I have had 315bhp when I last stuck it on the rollers so I imagine it will make one fast 2B!

there will be lots of problems, pedals, bell hsg, length of input shaft, clutch, propshaft, engine mountings, etc.etc.

If you are an engineer, with a full workshop at your fingertips, then you will probably be able to sort them out, but if you are like most of us Hoodies, building it in your garage, forget it, and put something in that has been done before with success.

Guest Scalar

salutations

I.ve looked at different engines, but have been put off because of expense and hassle. for example mating a GR14 toyota block to a ford box would require a bespoke belhousing or you would need to install toyota running gear (box, diff, driveshaft etc). If you go for a ford v6 out of a capri or rover V8 then i would imagine over heating would be a big problem.

so i have pretty much decided to stick with the pinto or rather ford 205 block as things will be much cheaper and easier in the long run. Instead of using 2 litre or 2.1 litre displacement i am sourcing a 2.5 litre crank from a ford Ranger. This is a straight swap! As for the cylinder head, i am intending to fit a 16v cosworth yb head. Again this bolts straight onto the 205 block, though modification to the valve train and a few other bits are required. This though, should easily give + 200bhp. If ultra power is required, then i would imagine that low compression pistons, throttle body (s), & a supercharger would give truly terrifying if not suicidal performance...

27 psi of boost in a highly fettled 2 litre turbo ford sierra cossie lump gives about 420llb torque and 400bhp @ flywheel and a standing quarter of 10.2 sec and a top end of 179mph. a westfield with a 170bhp absolutely slaughtered this cossie. so you could imagine what kind of performance 200+ brake would give.

If naught to casualty in 1.2 seconds is required then there is always Nitrous which can add another 200 horses....

There are cost based issues with both the forced induction and normally aspirated approaches. The cams from a cossie motor are built for forced induction and not normally aspirated, so cams would likely need to be re-profiled. Then there is the head itself. The cossie head is designed to keep gas speed and pressure up, so you would need to get the head flowed for n/a use. John wilcox racing does this.

So which is cheaper supercharged or N/A!

a rotrex supercharger kit costs about 2k, though a used supercharger could be sourced from a scrappy for peanuts.... having a head flowed & having cams re-profilled is not exactly cheap!

its a sore one....

http://www.wilcoxengines.demon.co.uk/cosy.yb.htm

http://www.therangerstation.com/Turbos.html

http://www.holley.com/HiOctn/ProdLine/Prod...SNS/NOSzle.html

Guest pauls13
there will be lots of problems, pedals, bell hsg, length of input shaft, clutch, propshaft, engine mountings, etc.etc.

If you are an engineer, with a full workshop at your fingertips, then you will probably be able to sort them out.

I'm very fortunate to have extensive workshop facilities where I work, also a few very helpful friends, I intended to use the nissan box aswell, I know it will take alot of work but I think it would be worth it in the end.

Guest pauls13

There are a few other reasons for me wanting to use this engine, basically the standard nissan engine management is fully mappable (fuel and ignition) and I have been mapping for quite awhile now with some good results, it would be a shame not to use such a flexible system.

Guest daveg

Dear Jesus

I thought it would be a good idea to put a 300/400bhp engine into a chassis that was designed for 100bhp!

I didn't really intend to kill myself that quickly, I mean I wanted a quick car, not a quick death....all that time spent building it and I died in 0.5 seconds :D :lol:

Dave

Guest Scalar

if you gotta go, then best to die smiling at 150mph

i hear you about the chassis, my little 1600 hairdryer is dangerous. i dont know about anyone else, but for me, going around a wet roundabout at 35mph can be a broadside duel with death...

makes me wonder about all these sevens advertsised in autotrader and the like

"dry use only"

still a sub 3 sec to 60 mph would be sexy

good luck

Guest morty

Scalar,

Sub 3 to 60 would be very sexy but I very much doubt you'd ever see that in a hood. Tiger only just scrape it and that things got twin bike engines, 4 wheel drive and weighs about the same as a rizla.

4 sounds fairly achievable though

Have fun,

Morty

Guest Scalar

yup a sub three sec would be unlikely, principally because of tractability & perhaps because the g/box shift times would kill the '60 sprint time

check out http://members.aol.com/DVAndrews/

this is a cossie yb, with steel crank and throttle bodies, which produces Maximum power: 235hp@8000rpm Maximum torque: 179lb-ft@6600rpm

performance is listed as

Acceleration 0-60MPH: approx 4sec

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Standing 1/4 mile: 12.75sec

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maximum speed: > 140MPH

if you added traction control, wider tyres, doubled the power and put in a good time, then who knows.....

i've seen a 170bhp westy <_< completely beast a 400bhp cossie which had a standing quarter of 11.2 secs. (Crail thrash Scotland)

yup your dead right. an overpowered robin hood on the open road is a complete and total recipe for death.

but for hill climbing, standing quarter times and other controlled events, a gutsy car is a very good thing

when i get my hood working again, i dont think i'll b using it for road use. I find that my hood is the muts nuts on a track, but on the road......its dangerous

cheers

Guest pauls13

Thanks for the replies everyone,

My main aim will be a sprint & 1/4 car and yes it will be dry use only, but if I do need to run it in the wet I can always turn the boost down :)

Cheers

Paul