Floor Strengthening

Guest DROID

Guest DROID

Can anybody advise if the larger of the 2x angle bars supplied is used to strengthen the floor?? Or is it only the 1" bar that picks up on the hand brake mount??

Droid

Guest TerryBarry

Yes you need both pieces of angle to stiffen the floor.

The smaller angle goes across and picks up on the handbrake mounting hole

The larger one goes across between the rear subframe mounting plates.

If you're using the RH handbrake mounting system the larger one has the "keyhole" slots in it to take the handbrake cables

You should be able to get the rear-most seat mounting bolts and the inner seatbelt mounting bolts to pick up on this angle as well.

HTH

Terry

Guest paul thompson

I have 3 bits of Angel to strengthen my floor. The big one goes between the rear Susp mounting plates on the chassis, one small one goes across the car under the handbrake front fixing, and the as I have fitted seat runners under my Corbeau buckets and the front edge fits on the handbrake mounting angle, the back mount does not reach the big angle, so I ditched the idea of the bonnet catch and used the rest of the small angel to provide rear seat mounting.

The bonnet is held down by 4 of those loverly rubber catch thingies from car builder solutions, Works just great, why bother with all that cable nonsense? It also let me use the bonnet release for the choke cable as I somehow lost the one I had. That works great too.

Paul

Guest Andy Rathbone

all i did was chuck the 2" angle and use the smaller stuff to stiffen the bonnet. To do the floor i made inch box rails one the full width of the car with short box section brakets off it covering all front seat mounts and the hand brake lever the other piece of box bolts on to the rear subframe mounting plates and covers the rear seat mounts and has key hole plates for the hand brake cable. nice and neat and doesnt hang so low!!! photos if you want?

Guest Angel Boy

Droid,

This is all very dependant upon where you mount your handbrake. If you go for the tunnel top then the largest piece of angle needs to be fitted behind the seat back panel to pick up the handbrake cable. If it is going where RHSC intended then it needs to fit as described by other posters.

I went the tunnel top route as I have fitted four point harness and I am a short arse. My understanding is that you must be able to operate the handbrake with the seatbelt on and I wouldn't be able to reach with the four point and the handbrake on the floor. If you fit the seatbelt from the Sierra (recoliable) you should be ok.

Tis worth bearing in mind as it does effect how you build the car.

See THIS THREAD for some details on how to fit it to the tunnel top.

Andy