Internet Question?

Guest rizla

Guest salty_monk

I use the Linksys Wireless router. Plug in to the ethernet connection on the NTL broadband cable modem & then you can hard wire 4 devices & have another 4 or 6 wireless.

Bought from Ebuyer. Was about £28.

Also bought same one here in the USA (interestingly it was more expensive!) but works just as well!!

The PCI cards for a desktop or tower PC to make it wireless are about £10.

:)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 2bsprint

These plug and play wireless jobbies are great except that they dont have any security configured. This means that you could be giving your neighbour free internet access or the man in the street sitting in his car with his laptop.

This may be fine but you are responsible for everything that is downloaded on your internet connection whether you know about it or not. You are just a number and everything you look at is logged!

You can always go for power lan adaptors. No security issues you have with wireless, no cat5 cables need laying as they send the network traffic over the houses ring-mains. very neat about 8 - 11mbs. You need either an ethernet card in your pc, or you can use USB versions.

I've two PC's and the Xbox hooked up this way... works fine

here is a link to lindy electronics

e

My sister has a cable modem, with a wireless router attatched, as mentioned above. I only had a wireless access point (also with cable modem) so I used the main PC as a router (with 2 ethernet cards). Both work fine