Cutting Bonnet To Make A Scuttle

TANGO

I've done this.

I used a very thin metal cutting disc in a mini-grinder. It's a bit nerve wracking, but if you take your time it's do-able.

You should be aware that doing it will throw up a few seperate problems - the scuttle wil be very wobbly so you'll have to come up with a way of stiffening it, and there's a few issues with space, like fitting wipers motors and stuff like that.

Good luck.

Guest Fred2b

I have not made a scuttle but when I had to trim the stoneguards and cut other pieces of mild steel plate for the boot lining I used a metal saw blade in my jigsaw. The cut is straight and smooth, much better than shears.

Regards

Fred

Are you trying to make a scuttle or just alter the way the bonnet hinges? I hinged my 2b bonnet from the top tube above the dash which I think is much better than the RHE method. Dead easy and no cutting of the bonnet involved. I'll post pics and details if you want.

Iain

Guest SteveL

Like Joel, I used a thin metal cutting disc (from Screwfix, I think) in an angle grinder.

Nervewracking doesn't quite cover the feeling though! Just steer clear of any caffine beforehand!

Steve

Guest Peter n the better half

i remember a few years back a tool called the nibbler it fitted into a standard electric drill and punched neatly. it leave a blunt edge is so easy to use and no nerve wrecking either.

I think machine mart still stock it but not exactly sure...

I've done it. See www.ant-a.co.uk for details. I used a hack-saw to get into the corners, and a jigsaw for the straights. Beware of the curved surface of the corners. If the sheet were flat the cut wouldn't be a straight line. For this reason going around it with a jigsaw flat on the metal surface needs a curved cut. Most blades which will tackle a cut of this length in stainless are for straight cutting only, hence I cut into the corners from the apex, very carefully with a hacksaw.

Ant

An electric jigsaw with a hacksaw blade is the way to go.

I did mine by trial fitted the bonnet and marked the line that I wanted to cut with a plumb-bob hanging over the sides. Then it was a simple case if driving the saw in a straight line to get a neat cut. Just don't sneeze or cough; do turn off your mobile phone so as not to get a call half way through; and lock the garage door to stop the wife/kids/dog/mates coming in and disturbing you.

Daz