2b Swept Wings - Overhang?

Guest Phil Slater

Guest Phil Slater

Hi Folks

I‘ve done an initial fit of my swept wings. I will have to do just a little tweaking and I’ll be able to get the leading edge over the front of the wheel and the sides are OK.

However I am just a bit concerned SVA wise over the issue of wheel coverage given the shape of the swept wings in particular the rather pointed leading edge. My understanding is the wings have to cover the wheel, though not necessarily the rubber of the tyre. I suppose my question is, just how much of the swept wing has to be over the wheel? For example is a quarter inch of the pointed leading edge sufficient? A half - or an inch - or what? :huh: :huh: Even the sides are arc shaped and so are not parallel with the wheel across its full diameter :blink: . I’ve done a search of past threads but can’t find anything specific.

I ‘d be grateful if anybody could please give me guidance/information on what is required to meet the SVA regs.

TIA

Phil Slater

Guest salty_monk
Why would I want to do that? :o  

Damn & I ditched the whole car :boohoo: :boohoo: (not wholely through choice), the swept wings are just different, some say more classical but actually they are an American thing I believe....

Anyway, hope the pics help, I can probably dig some more out when I get back on my own machine (using Drew's). I'll see if I have any profile shots of the wheel, I know I have one straight on from the front too...

Oh well, there's always the next one.. :rolleyes: :D

Personally I prefer the looks of the swept wings but I wouldn't fit them if I had a choice.

My 2B has cycle wings and it's much easier to work on the engine and the wings don't act like a big air-brake.

My S7 had swept wings and it was a royal pain having to lean over them to get at the engine-bay. Also you could feel the steering getting light and see them straining at their mountings at anything over 50. The engine also used to feel suddenly lacking as speed increased.

Nicer to look at but less practical.

Iain

I have the swept wings on my Sub-K. Not SVA yet. I spoke to the tester at Newcastle, and sure enough as long as the tip and the side cover the wheel not the tyre you're OK. I have made up alu extension to make the wing much squarer at the tip. not very pretty but after the SVA I will remove them.

Cheers

Lindsay

Guest Phil Slater

Thanks for that, the tips and sides definitely clear the the wheel and that's before I've fitted any edge trim. In terms of clearance betwween the top of the tyre I've gone as per the video - teh depth of a clenched fist, which I presume will be OK.

Unless...................... that is.............................. someone knows different????? :unsure: ;)

Guest peter2b2002

Hi Phill, my 2b has long wings, got through the sva ok, make shure that the wheel rim is covered, yes it is a bit of a pain to get some parts of the engine bay but you soon learn how to get round that, and the stearing does get a bit light at anything over 70 mph(but between you and the gate post thay do flap a bit at 105) ;)

good luck with your SVA

pete2b

Guest Phil Slater

Whilst my wings are over the wheel rim I think a telephone call to the local SVA centre might be in order just to confirm what their interpretation of of the regs is :wacko:

Alan and /or Pete2B it sounds like your cars are on the road, so what sort of clearance have you run with between the top of the tyre and the wing? I find it's a bit difficult judging, cos of course the wing curves up on the inside. I've gone for the clenched fist depth between the wing edge and top of tyre - but having not yet had the opportunity to drive the car in anger, or with haste :) over rough terrain I don't know what suspension movement I'm likely to get - so it could be too much or too little. I presume getting them as low as possible will reduce the likelihood of any steering lightness so would want to try for that.

Your comments would be appreciated.

TIA

Phil

Guest thunder road

Hi Phil,

Ive just put a flat bit of wood across the top of the tyre.When level, I have a measurement of 70 mm on the outside & 25 mm on the inside. This is to the top of the tyre. I have retro-fitted D/wishbones, the tyre rubs the inside of the wing when cornering hard.

The other wing is 25 mm higher :( , this side dosen`t rub.

Ive only noticed light steering when approaching 3 figure speeds ( private roads of course :D :D )

Hope this helps,

Alan.