Chip Shop Diesel...

Guest salty_monk

Guest salty_monk

Certain Hoodies I know are running their Diesels on Vegetable Oil... I mention no names but it appears to work fine in a L reg Mondeo Diesel with no mods...

Anyone else tried it (sure there was at least one) & if so what in?

Contemplating it in my 1.9 Pug Normally aspirated XUD engine but worried about blocking injectors etc....

:)

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've not got a Diesel car so I haven’t actually done this but I've researched it and my next car will be a diesel ;)

You need a Bosh fuel pump really because they're stronger i.e. Ford and Vauxhall use them but most cars will run on rape seed oil if you mix it 50/50 with Derv. Once you start getting into higher ratios you need to mod the fuel system with pre-heats etc and have a separate diesel supply just to get it started, once started and warm you can switch to 100% oil.

I've known people to get the old waist oil from there local chip shop for free and filter it through a J cloth, then run it in a modified fuel system. The mods are simple pluming and a home made heat exchanger.

Rapeseed oil is normally about 45p/letre

To do it leagelly you have to pay the goverment about 27p per letre in tax.

This is the Bio Power www site

How to convert you diesel to use vegetable oil

How to make the proper fuel (if you really want to go that far)

Guest Stuart Ainslie

Pug XUD's are supposedly OK on chippy waste.

I considered it on my old 406 TD but ended up selling it and going for an LPG powered car instead.

Presently enjoying 32 - 40p per litre..... :D

Guest salty_monk

:p :D

Thinking about it but Can't be arsed with installing secondary fuel systems tank heaters etc... If I was going to use it it'd have to be something I can just bung in the tank...

Wouldn't it block the fuel filter?? (just changed mine yesterday..) It's similar to an air filter (folded paper element) so I would have thought the oil would block it relatively easily.... ;)

Guest johnboymac

on the landrover list Im subscribed to, there is a current thread that is discussing the following alternatives\ additives:-

kerosene,

parafin

used cooking oil

fresh cooling oil (pennies per L from aldi etc)

used white spirit

old engine oil

apparently sticking in a gallon of used\filtered white spirit to a full tank on a series LR wont cause any probs.

interesting - but by the time I put my LR back together, I probably won't be trying anything that might stuff it all up again.

J

p.s. cooking oil should be thinned with a very small amount of ethanol to prevent filter issues. - seen it on tv where they run a volvo 940 estate on chip oil.

Guest craig030774

right then listen carefully

used cooking oil don't matter what kind

97 % oil 3 % white spirit

get a 25 litre clear container pour the oil in and add the white spirit give a gentle shake or stir ( no need to syphon )

wait a week and syphon off the oil leaving the white residue and bits of batter in the bottom

then chuck in it your farm vehicle in summer you can run on 100 % waste veg oil

but in winter dilute 50 -50 with diesel

go on give it a try around you private land ahem :ph34r:

p.s diesels are boring L.P.G is cheaper better and faster

getting 2b on it soon :D

Guest Battery Bill

John

cooking oil should be thinned with a very small amount of ethanol to prevent filter issues. - seen it on tv where they run a volvo 940 estate on chip oil.

Never heard that one but our local Tesco does not stock Ethanol but it does "Cooking oil at £1.30 for 3 litres, But I have heard White spirit does the job :D

Go on Dan get some in and if it works I might have a go :wub: :wub: :lol: :lol:

Guest steve_m77
Certain Hoodies I know are running their Diesels on Vegetable Oil... I mention no names but it appears to work fine in a L reg Mondeo Diesel with no mods...

Does that Mondeo have a Lucas/CAV pump or the Bosch ? Any idea what a 1999 MK II Mondeo would have ?

I've put a few litres in mixed with 5% whote spirit and can't tell the difference, probably need to put more in ! :D