Insurance Worries :unsure:

Guest Guy

I herd on the radio this morning that under new legislation you won't have to get caught driving without insurance to be done. If you own a car, it has to be insured even if you don't drive it :o

Has anyone else herd of this? what about all our donor cars?

Guest allbejay

i cant see that being true but you know what the government is like nowadays, i'd like to see them prosecute though as there must be thousands of cars out there in that position, with our donor cars though technically the car doesn't exist or does it how can we argue either way

Guest TerryBarry

I heard the same (or similar) broadcast.

Apparently it was said that you did not need insurance if you had declared SORN - and we've all done that on our donors, haven't we.

What I heard was that the burden to prosecute would be placed on the shoulders of the police - using information obtained from stopping drivers for other traffic offences and the increased use of number plate recognition cameras.

The problem of uninsured drivers, as I see it, is that many do not register the car in their name- therefore no tax; MOT or insurance and in many cases no licence.

Unless the car is immediately impounded - they'll be out there the following day doing it again

The politicians are out there again doing their best to bring in unenforceable laws :gdit:

I don't know why, as a first step, an insurance disc should not be displayed in the windscreen - many other EU countries do this.

Guest allbejay

thats very true why cant we have the insurance disk option, alot of guys i work with have there cars legal in their country and bring them over here and talk to them all the time about it, their laws are more harsh too which i feel is fair when it comes to matter of peoples safety and lively hoods. However i know now that the police can check up on your insurance over the radio, i was pulled on a random stop on monday and even though the car was in my partners name they still knew i was insured so only asked me to produce the mot and licence.

From what I understand of the proposals, the registered owner will need to have the car insured unless it is decaled SORN. ANPR cameras are now linked into the insurance database so uninsured vwhicles can be detected at the roadside.

Guest robinj66

There's no actual change to the legal requirements - at present if your car is parked on the road (or place to which the public have access) then it needs to be insured even if it's never driven.

The changes are really that they are trying to integrate the various computer databases so that, Eg Plod can check the insurance datbase when they see/pull a vehicle.

Good idea I suppose but of course no one has ever heard of any databases being out of date or just plain wrong! :(

Guest Battery Bill

Robin

so that, Eg Plod can check the insurance datbase when they see/pull a vehicle.

Welcome to the board But:

Dredd, "IS" the plod :lol: :lol: Very high up plod as well :lol: :lol:

Se be careful how you talk about the "Boys in Blue" :D :D

Guest markmc
From what I understand of the proposals, the registered owner will need to have the car insured unless it is decaled SORN. ANPR cameras are now linked into the insurance database so uninsured vwhicles can be detected at the roadside.

police can already detect if a cars insured or not...

a while back i got stopped for no seatbelt..

they blew the reg through and the operator came back saying insurance was "healthy"

To me this simply means that a car is insured..it wont stop uninsured drivers...

i could insure my car in my nans name for pennies...wouldnt make me insured to drive it though...

Guest Petemate

Has anyone any idea when this is likely to come into force? Reason for my query is the wife's Sportka is registered in her name. But - due to continuance of an original policy on one of our former "family"cars, I am still the person insuring the car. It is comprehensive, any driver. So - my wife has not personally taken out cover. Recently we re-taxed the car using the phone - no probs. So the car is legal. But on a PNC check, what would be the outcome? I've already advised her that when the insurance comes up for renewal (unfortunately not till next April) she ought, as now the main user, to take out her own policy, even though with nil NCB it may be a bit dear for a couple of years. Thoughts anyone? (especially from our BIBs!! :wub: :wub: )

Guest TerryBarry

Hi Pete,

If your wife is the registered owner and main driver of the Sport-Ka and has not had any accidents whilst driving she should be able to get about 50% NCB, taking out a policy in her own name

If the insurance company won't play ball - go elsewhere.