Forward Opening Bonnet

Guest macca

Hi all

This is my 100th post so I'm going for something optimistic!!!!

We are looking at `making` the bonnet, and have decided on a fixed scuttle, to hold windscreen/wipers etc.

But the question is...... What to do with the opening part of the bonnet???? ;) ;)

I saw a bonnet that opened forward at Donnington, on a foreign car (Sweedish I think ;) ). He had a big leather strap holding it down :wub: . With the strap removed and a slight nudge the bonnet popped up on gas struts :o :o :o . The pivot was down in the front of the nose cone. I noticed some iron work in there holding it all together, but did not manage to make any techincal drawings!!!!! :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

Anyhow "I WANT ONE" B) B) B)

Comments?? Pictures?? Ideas?? Technical drawings etc much appreciated.

Macca

P.S. The battery will be under this work of art (where it belongs) :D

Guest salty_monk

Petemate's folds forward like that (but not gas). He may have some build pictures.

Mine splits at the nosecone, nosecone hinges forward the other bit hinges upwards...

Dan:)

Guest chris brown

Macca there are lots around that hinge from the front and several ways of doing it. The only problem is the headlamps tend to get in the way but people have overcome that. the other alternative is to fix the nosecone and scuttle like the super spec and make the bonnet centre section removable or as I have done hinge it down the middle so it opens like the old pre war cars. IMHO anything it better than the way RH intended it (sorry to those who have it that way it's just my opinion) :wub:

Guest Petemate

Hi Macca

Sorry late - pics as promised, bit difficult in the dark garage. Showing hinges, and reinforcing with 1.5mm galvanised hidden under glass fibre matting & resin under the hinges (cut down B & Q)

For better pics, see Pete Dawson's build pics on the Yahoo 2b site, I copied his layout almost to the millimetre....

Pete

post-5-1131397896.jpg

Macca - have you looked at Pete Dawson's pics yet? They are most informative/illustrative/ bl***y good....

Pete

No havent seen them yet.

Havent managed to find his site yet :huh:

Any clues???? B)