Information About Living In Aberdeen.....

Guest Angel Boy

Guest Angel Boy

Calling all hoodies north of the border. I am after a favour please.

My job is potentially moving to Aberdeen on a permanent basis and I have two options. The first is to commute to and from every week it is possible as the airport local to me (Humberside) is only 20mins away but v expensive and ok short term. However long term the best option is to move up there permanently.

I have a couple of things to ask.

Firstly, what type of price/area is best to find some digs to live that are not to far away from the north west of Aberdeen (which is where I'll be working)? Doesn't matter if they aren't in the centre of Aberdeen. I have done some searching around on the net, but not knowing the area too well I have no idea. Can be shared house (student styley)/BnB/Guest House etc anything as long as it isn't to expensive.

Secondly and on a more long term look, but a similar question, where is a good place to buy a house and what type of price am I looking at?

Any info would be useful at this time. If you don't want to reply here mail me direct and I'll give you a call etc.

Thanks in advance,

Andy

Guest Andy Rathbone

i will have a word with my sis she has moved up there in the last 12 months, cove bay is a nice area so i'm told i have a word and get her to give a call or pass on some usefulls. you do know the laws a system for buying houses is quite diffrent in bonny !!!! watchout be careful!!!! i will see what i can dig up for you

Guest Andy Rathbone

For an up to date list of houses to rent and buy check out www.aspc.co.uk it is a very good site.

Nice/posh bits: Peterculter / Cults, Milltimber, Riverside drive, South deeside road, West end of town, Ferryhill, Hazlehead.

Ok areas, a bit cheaper: Balmedie, Cove, Portlethen, Stonehaven, Newtonhill, Westhill, Dyce

Areas to avoid/careful of: Woodside, torry, footdee, mannofield, Mastrick

Bucksburn and Bridge of Don are a bit mixed some nice bits some dodgy.

Get very busy to drive through at rush hours so depending on where working choose somewhere the right side of town. Ring road is planned but not started yet.

Red light area is down by the docks can be dodgy at night.

Boy racers hang out at the beach.

Lots of speed cameras on main road south towards dundee.

Good curry house - Jewel in the crown on Crown street.

Lot of Pubs and bars and Clubs on Belmont street and Union St

Live music - The Globe (North Silver street), the Blue lamp, and the Lemon tree (See website).

Good Chinease - The Chi Bar - off Belmont street upstairs.

Golf - great courses all over. Driving range at the beach.

Hope this is of use.

try this THX to my lil' sis

just ignore the PM

ATB ;)

Guest Angel Boy

Andy,

Thanks for the info. If she has anything else that might be of use I would be greatful if she would pass it on. My PM is listed under my details and I have also sent you a PM as well.

Thanks for your time,

Andy

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jeff Druce

I envy you, I lived worked in Aberdeenshire for 12 years and they were some of the best. Its a wonderfull place with great people but boy can they drink.

jeff

Guest Angel Boy

I'll be good for the taxi home then as I don't :D Don't like the stuff tried all sorts but just no good. So I decided long ago to give up trying and just enjoy myself so I have orange squash and just join in the fun ;)

Andy

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Angel Boy

Well the move to Aberdeen is on. I shall be commuting until the end of the year then looking at a permanent relocation there after. I start on the 1st September. I will probably be dis-appearing form these boards on a regular basis now as I will struggle to get access etc. Not sure what I am going to do with the hood either. I would like to keep it but I have a feeling it may have to go in the new year.

Thanks to all who replied and helped out.

Andy

Guest Andy Rathbone

glad to hear things are happening for you i hope all goes well with the move and stuff, but i'm sad to hear you may have to get rid of the hood :( i'm possibly up there the last weekend in sept, in the hood with a small miricale. if not, in the tin top. if you fancy a drink let me know? wheres your house? my sis lives in cove bay.

ATB :D

Guest Battery Bill

Andy S

They do actually have computers that far north you know! They even have electricity.

I agree with Jeff Aberdeen is a great place especially when you learn to understand the language. I'm Scottish but had quite a job with the local Aberdeen accents.

Wish I could cope with just orange juice on a night out how do you do it? Somehow if a nice cold orange juice and a nice cold Fosters was placed in front of me it would not take long for me to decide on the latter, too long in the Air Farce has ruined me iI suppose.

Good luck anyway.

Guest Angel Boy

Thanks guys. Not sure where I'm living at the minute, using the areas kindly provided to me by you guys as a guide. I'm going up there for a butchers the week before to get sorted etc. If you fancy a drink PM off group and I 'll let you know.

As to the question how do I not drink. Simple answer is I just don't like it. When my friends etc where experimenting with it, I was at the time a keen athlete and so with training 5 times a week for two hours and homework and then competing in a competion on a weekend I didn't have time to "aquire the taste" for alcohol so I missed all the peer pressure "liking it". So when I came to trying it I didn't so I haven't. Doesn't mean I miss out on the fun though as I always join in with the drunken behaviour. The advantage is I can drive home afterwards ;)

Hopefully I am trying to work it so that I can keep the hood. It won't be going till next year as I will be commuting for a bit anyway.

Will be at Harrogate with it definately, so will see you all then. You'll know it is me cause it has a big scratch down the rear wheel arch - don't ask :angry:

Andy