Rear End

Guest docter fox

Guest docter fox

Over winter I want to change to a 3.9 diff, and would also like discs on the back (before i go and buy stupid looking plastic things :lol: )

so by reading up on it, it would be easier to change the diff, driveshafts and disks rather than trying to mix and match, would it make it easier to change the trailing arms aswell?

so what am i looking for? the complete rear end of a 2.0 injection sierra? (3.9 with disks?)

also, whats the correct angle for the brake compensator valve in a hood? ;)

Guest salty_monk

Yes, it's just as easy to fit the whole set although it's hard to come by a 3.9 setup with disks. You can make disks fit the standard 3.9 diff, see the northwest site build tips for details.

As far as the compensator valve goes... chuck it away!

If you really feel you need one either buy an adjustable valve or adapt a mini one, there was a good post on here about that the other week.

:)

Guest docter fox

dang, I thought the injection sierra's came with both ;) on the NW site it says i either need a 1.6 estate (with drums?) a 5 speed 1.8 (cvh or pinto?) or a 2.0 efi manual (do they not come with rear disks?)

I had the car on a brake tester and the rear was quite poor <_< I can lock the fronts up easily but the back just doesn't do anything!, I'll try it without the compensator and see what the difference is before I go changing things

on a static brake test ie the car not moving the compensator has no effect on the brakes so if the brakes are poor there will be another reason self adjusters not adjusting, worn linings, air in rear half of brake system or something like that.

the compensator has a ball bearing in it which moves in a chamber as the car slows down, this movement restricts the braking force being sent to the rear brakes to stop the rear brakes locking up before the fronts and so avoiding unexpected end swappy i'm sure i was going the other way moments

steve

Guest peter2b2002

Hi I used a 2ltr efi as my doner, it came with drums at the back, i also fitted the sierra compensator at about 10 degrees, passed the sva easy, now even in the wet the rears don't lock up before the front

cheers Pete2b

Guest docter fox

steve, thanks for the explanation :D I should have said on the road, as I can't even lock the rears in the wet ;) I should probably try bleeding them again as I've taken the drums apart and cleaned them up etc

may seem a stupid question but i take it you mean leaning further forward at the top by 10 degrees?

which sierra's came with disks then? as converting to discs seems a bit of a faff :wub:

Guest paul mercer

I've got a diff out of a k reg 2.0 glsi that i don't need. I think it was a 3.9 but i'll leave it to you to do the research if it's ok.

Let me know if you want it.

Paul

Hi Doc.

I have just quickly scanned this thread. We both have S7's with solid back axles, don't we? The sierra rear end is totaly different with the Diff attached to the chassis, how are you going to engineer all the sierra bits into your car? If you have a plan I'd like to know as I am unhappy as you know with my axle tramping problem.

Steve