Rear Suspension Rh B2+

Guest JONATHAN JP

Guest JONATHAN JP

Hi guys

what I am wondering was-- the rear sespension B2+, front fitting. On them D*m videos

He is seen hacking away at the frame with a coal chisel to put two bolts securing the frame to the body----- HAS anyone used the curcular bracket that came off the old car. it is standard fittment for the rear suspension, if it is good enough for ford, is it good enough for the SVA test :huh:

You do put a bolt through the existing mount. The problem I think is that this is a flexible mounting, with rubber inserts. It is fine as long as the whole of the rear suspension is mounted in the same way - ie you need to keep the diff mounting bracket from the Sierra, and you can't use the trailing arm bolts to go through the tabs on the chassis either side. The RHE method is to use the rubber mounts as "locators", and then to rigidly bolt the rear axle assembley to the chassis. Two bolts into the back of the diff, two trailing arm bolts, and the two burried inside the tube. The rubber ones are effectively redundant once the others are tightened up.

Ant

Guest Chrisegg

My first effort at this. Ant mentions two diff bolts and the video suggests one is acceptable - gueass what I did. Is one OK, or am I looking at a fail sometime in 2004 at the rate I am going at.

Chris

Guest Angel Boy
My first effort at this. Ant mentions two diff bolts and the video suggests one is acceptable - gueass what I did. Is one OK, or am I looking at a fail sometime in 2004 at the rate I am going at.

Chris

:lol: :lol:

We all feel or have felt like this Chris. Is the one bolt running through the rubber location hole or is it the "extra" one that actually holds the the frame solid?

Andy

Guest Chrisegg

Thanks Ant

I have the bolt through the rubber mount Ok and the other fixing the subframe solidly. Apologies for the confusion but the bolts I was concerned about are the one, or should it be two, that fix the rear of the diff to the chassis plate. I've used only one.

Chris

Guest timswait

I'd guess one was OK since that's what it showed in the vids, but it wouldn't be the first time RHE have a differing opinion to the SVA man! I used two just to be sure, and have never had any problems, not from the SVA or anywhere else. As for using the rubber mounts, I agree with everyone else that you want the back end to be clamped up tight, it's good for a saloon car to have that body cushioned from the suspension but for a sports car you want it as rigid as possible.

I have two bolts. I doubt that it will fail SVA with only one, but two has to be better. If it's simple to do then put the second one in. If not, leave it out.

If you do only use one I'd definitely put thread lock and a shake proof washer on it. I've done this with two.

Ant

Guest Angel Boy

See what you mean now. :D

I worked on the principle that Uncle Henry had two bolts for a reason, ergo I have fitted two bolts. Might well be overkill on Ford's behalf but the last thing I want is the diff dropping out whilst giving it some (around a circuit ;) )

Andy

Guest Chrisegg

Thanks Chaps, I'll try and fit the second bolt although I'll have to think about the easiest way given how much I will have to undo to move the diff away from the chassis plate before I drill.

Chris