Crankcase Ventilation System

Guest timswait

Guest timswait

The Haynes manual seems to describe something quite different to what's on my engine. According to Haynes the crankcase vent connects to the air intake trunking, and because of this the vent valve does not need to be renewed at servicing. However on mine the crankcase vent connects to two points on the inlet manifold, and the air intake hose connects to the oil filler cap. Two questions: Does the vent valve need renewing at regular intervals (there seems to be a small amount of oil leakage around it) and can I use the oil filler cap from a carb model and not have a tube running into the air intake hose? (as I need to replace the air intake trunking and would rather use a simple straight bit of tube to fit into the car easier)

Not sure about the servicing. Mine is as you describe, but no oil leaks that I've noticed.

I have fitted the oil filler top from a carb engine - this vents to atmosphere around the sides, but it's lower than the EFi one so it fits under the bonnet nicely. This means that I have no fumes or oil going into the intake hose - I believe this is why so many EFi engines have knackered idle valves too.

Ant

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Takumi

Ive got a 2.0i engine that is now using carbs instead of the efi system, I have the crank ventilation valve, and a Oil filler cap with a return spout onit aswell,

Can I just feed the crankcase vent (back into engine ) the cam cover via the filler cap.?

Is it worth fitting a to > atmosphere vent to realase crank pressures, ive seen small ( like mini k&n filters) ait filtres for this, how much oil vapour it likely to pass through this vent. ?

I dont know what to do with these pressure vents. . . .

tak