V6

Guest macca

I have seen several ford v6 engines for sale (both in and out of cars) but all of them seem to have a front diff included.

Is this in the sump or on the side?

Can it be removed?

Are there sumps available with out the diff?

How easy are these to fit?

Does anyone have any pics of an installation?

Cheers

A prop shaft runs forward from the gearbox to the front axle. (Remember the engine in the sierra sits on the front sub frame). The front diff is offset on the right side of the engine but the left halfshaft runs through the sump. You could seal up the holes or use a std rwd sump. Got some photos somewhere but can't access them at work. Maybe later.

Hi Macca - Ive got a non 4x4 in mine. Engine is coming out - hopefully by next week so could take some photos if you like.

That looks ike a squeeze and a challenge to fit in!!!! ;)

Mind you I like a challenge

Photo's much appreciated

Cheers

V6's with manual gearbox are hard to come by, the 2.8 XR4i RWD with manual gearbox is what you want. I couldn't find one so I got a 2.4 but I can go up to any 2.8 using the gearbox and sump. Remember that the type 9 V6 gearbox is different from the Pinto 4 cylinder one.

post-6-1134377318.jpg

If you are going to do it - try and get a 2.9i Granada Scorpio with Cosworth heads. The engine mountings and Gearbox is the same and the BHP is up from 150-160 to over 200.

You will have some more problems electronically as you will have Lambda sensors to install and an ECU, but may be worth it.

I know that's the route I'll probably end up going if I blow this lump up, although you can tune these standard v6's to over 600 bhp apparently!!!!. Don't know how long they would last though.

There must be a few of these still kicking around

See here- ebay link

If I had a 6 cylinder limit I would go for the Cosworth lump from the Granada. But why not a Rover V8?

In one block you can start at 3.9 and go to 5.5 litres, the fitting and tuning parts are readily available, the engines are readiy available and you can't beat that sound. A 3.9 is going to be over 200BHP with a decent carb/EFI system and the bigger version will go over 500BHP relatively easily. Just look what TVR have done with it.

If I had a 6 cylinder limit I would go for the Cosworth lump from the Granada. But why not a Rover V8?

In one block you can start at 3.9 and go to 5.5 litres, the fitting and tuning parts are readily available, the engines are readiy available and you can't beat that sound. A 3.9 is going to be over 200BHP with a decent carb/EFI system and the bigger version will go over 500BHP relatively easily. Just look what TVR have done with it.

another thought ...... I might get shot down in flames but what about the straight 6 frm BMW??? Is it too long? I dont mind having a go at chassis mods to fit things in. Just check my web page to see that!!!!!! ;) :( :unsure: :D :rolleyes: (random selection of faces :D )

Macca - I think you will find the BM straight 6 will be a bit tall.

I was considering it from an old 3.5 seven series I had as the engine was a belter, but tape measure proved a bit difficult.