Superspec

Guest superspec

Guest superspec

:gdit: Super Spec Help Needed

First Mechanical failure this weekend and i wonder has anybody else suffered this problem which is where the union is srewed into the side of the steering pump once the pipe is attached it touches the tubular chassis due to lack of space. Consequently the pipe has chaffed and pumped out the fluid. obviously just replacing the pipe is short term. are there different types of union on this engine i.e right angled instead of straight ? :boohoo:

does the car really need power steering.. i know a power rack that fails is very heavy to turn,but what about a standard manual rack..

is anyone running a superspec with manual rack, the kit we got from RH came with a manual rack is this going to be ok or is a gym membership the order if the day..

Guest rhetorical-oracle
does the car really need power steering.. i know a power rack that fails is very heavy to turn,but what about a standard manual rack..

The spec doesn't have power steering, but the engine is fitted with a power steering pump for the original Rover. RH's solution to this is just to get you to fit a piece of pipe from the outlet to the inlet of the pump, and fill it with fluid, so the thing is just continually pumping fluid around inside the pump itself.

Guest paul thompson

The best solution is to take out the vanes from the rotor set and block the inlet and out let side sealing it up. If there are no vanes then there is no pump and the rotor will just spin in the oil (you must lubricate the pump if leaving it on even if there are no vanes) doing nothing. It's a simple job easilydone.

I have left the vanes in the pump and fitted the union that was supplied by RH but I cut it part way up and brazed it back together again at an angle (after carefully checking which way and at what angle the union needed altering). You can do the checking by creating a bit of extra clearance by jacking up that side of the engine slightly while you trial fit the union. I have done 2500 miles with this with no problems so far.

I was lucky, the unit supplied with mine cleared the chassis and has given no problems in the 4000 miles I've covered over the past year. Build it had similar problems and managed to source a union which saved space. Would be worth a pm