Changing Sierra Dash Clocks

Guest feralsprint

Guest feralsprint

Well hello guys and gals

as the heading says I am going to change my dash clocks, my car was built using an 84 Sierra base model with the plain old clocks with just speedo and temp and fuel gauge, I have just won a set of dash clocks on ebay with the tacho as well the problem being out here in Australia info on the Sierra is scarce. My problem being that I have no idea what wire goes where on the plug, can someone please help me out with either a link to a wiring diagram or maybe a scan of the sierra dash wiring, the old dash has the vertical plug and the new one has it mounted flat (horizontal) and my car is using the standard ford loom

Regards

Jon

Carefully follow the copper tracks on the printed circuit of the clocks, there are 2 basic circuits there, one is just for instrument lighting and can be easily distinguished, so see which of the 2 pins in the plug has +ive to it, the other is return (earth)

Then look at each gauge in turn, you'll find that there is a common link between most of the gauges, this is +ive feed when the ignition is switched on, check that pin in the plug to confirm.

Now the other connection from each gauge is an idividual pin all of it's own, this goes to whatever is the sender, ie, temp sender, fuel gauge sender, oil pressure sender.

The one different one is the tacho, this is usually a green wire that comes from the -ive side of the coil.

As you find out what each pin is for, label that wire, once you've done them all, you can cut off the plug.

(I would suggest that you make a small wiring diagram and stick it into you manual)

Just take it one step at a time and it'll all work out.

Guest feralsprint

As per normal you guys save my backside, yosamite it wouldbe great if you could post me an on line link to the wiring dont have a haynes or anything else they just dont exist out here in the colonies :D I guess they reckon we convict stock don't need to know these things

Jon

• 2 weeks later...
Guest TerryBarry

I'm sure that Mr Ford had as many wiring systems as the average dog has fleas.

This is the wiring to the plug on the dash panel of my '89 2.0 GL Sierra

Multiway Plug / Socket on Instrument Panel

Pin # Wire Connection

Colour Panel Harness

1 Blue / White Main Beam

2 Black / Yellow +12v from IGN switch

3 Brown / Green Oil Pressure Pressure Switch

4 Black / White Indicators Indicator Switch

5 Green Tachometer Coil (Green)

6 Brown / White Temp Gauge Sender

7 Brown / Black Fuel Gauge Sender

8 Black / Green Indicators Indicator Switch

9 Brown / Yellow Brake Warning Reservoir Plug

10 Blue Alternator Warning Alternator Plug

11 Brown Earth Drivers Kick Panel

12 Green / Slate Illumination Panel Rheostat

#1 as per Haynes manual = Main Beam Warning

1 to 12 (Right to Left) Viewed from rear of Panel

This seems to have screwed up a bit - no columns etc - will try to find better listing tomorrow

Best of Luck :wacko:

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Colin Usher

Jon

I have just carried out the exact same mods to my 2B (www.colinusher.info) If you go to my site there is an new addition to the Instruments section and a new Appendix. I made a plug from some copper laminate and used the existing Sierra Dash socket. All covered in the article. Not yet wired in the Tacho but everything else works fine. Note you will need a Voltage Stabilizer on the Fuel & Temp gauges and possibly a Diode in the Ignition Warning Lamp circuit. All covered in the article.

a_c_usher(at) yahoo.co.uk

Regards

have you got a haynes manual? i can post an online version if you want?

i can bring you one out !

but not till October . i can then post it on to you i will prob be in South Austraila

somewhere hopfull around Victor Harbor

Duncan